tire inflator repair

I have Craftsman battery-powered tire inflator. It can be charged either from a car cigarette lighter or by house current. I really like it and I have had it for several years. The hose got old and cracked. The part of the hose that comes off the compressor cylinder appears to be clamped on to a small pipe that come out of the compressor piston cylinder. I would like to replace the hose with a regular air compressor hose, but I don't know how to get the old hose off or how to attach a new one. Any advice?

Reply to
Peter Dunkelberger

Bear in mind that if you make the new hose longer than the old hose, but the same inside diameter, the air pressure at the end when air is flowing will drop, might drop. I have no idea how much. But don't make it 100 feet. :)

Reply to
mm

how much does a new pump cost? it might be cheaper to just replace the pump even though all thats wrong is the hose. I think i saw a pump for under 30 bucks try checking harbor freight

Reply to
bob haller

W/o picture or at least product no to look at parts diagram, _specific_ guidance is tough, but...

Wouldn't think it should be too hard to figure out how to get a clamp off even if have to destroy the old and use a new clamp for replacement.

I'd expect there's a good chance the outlet is in fact simply a threaded

1/8" pipe nipple; if so could either thread other end in place or buy a new nipple that's already threaded and find a 1/8" hose adapter to be a little neater.

If it's as large as 1/4" NPT, then all the standard air fittings are available w/o even having to look hard...

Reply to
dpb

A new one at Pep Boys would be under $20.00

Reply to
hrhofmann

The air FLOW will drop, but NOT the pressure.

Reply to
clare

If you have a GOOD one, don't replace it - many available, particularly for reasonable cost, are JUNK.

Reply to
clare

And $200.00 worth of aggravation.

Reply to
clare

I've been happy with mine so far.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Not only that, he could use the new pump until it breaks, then use the hose from that pump to repair the first pump.

Reply to
mm

I like this one. Great idea. I just bought a Black and Decker pump, but in my heart of hearts I still want to repair the old one.

Reply to
Peter Dunkelberger