tire inflaction with a compressor

This has been bugging me for awhile.
If I fill a tire with a small pancake (I think its 4 gallons) compressor can I just set the regulartor to the pressure that I want and it will "stop" when it hits that pressure or will it explode the tire?
I have a real inflator with a built in dial gauge now, but I always thought that I could do it this way.

I've never seen a gauge on any inflation device that could be trusted. They *always* seem to read differently from separate gauges.
I always check with a tire gauge and then just goto what ever the inflator gauge reads.
I had a cheap 12 v inflator that I marked the gauge to give me the correct setting.

Now, there's a free and easy solution I never thought of. Slap me. :)

My compressors will stop at the set point but why take that risk with your tire or anything else?
Cliff Hartle wrote:

The two compressors I have do not regulate their pressure anywhere close to accurate enough for a car tyre. Also I would not want to wait until they finally got the tyre full if they were limited to the final pressure. It takes a long time to bring a tyre from 35 psi to 40 psi if your compressor is only supplying 40 psi.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

worked or not; like you say, the last 5psi would have taken hours. So I just cranked it back up to 120psi.
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:29:12 GMT, "Cliff Hartle"

I'm not acquainted with pancakes, afaik, but how about setting it to 4 pounds below what you want, and watching it to see what happens. Then set it to just what you want, and see what happens.
If it stops, you can measure the pressure, and if it doesn't stop, surely you can turn it off before it explodes.