Tips and tricks, toilet flapper chain?

I've had several of these knot up over the years, not regularly enough to just replace them, just often enough to be an annoyance. I've tried many types, all seem to have some draw-back. I'm looking for product recommendations, modifications, anything anyone has done that worked for years. I can tell you some things that don't work; the rubber straps with the arrow shaped stops (too rigid), the fluid master black plastic chain (worst knotting problem to date, it floats hence the tangles).
Eric in North TX wrote:

I have never seen a "knotting" problem with any kind. I have had a problem with a link (usually the top one) going sideways when flushing and then not letting the ball fully close. That is simple to correct, just hang a small fishing weight from the link. That ends that problem.
Harry K

That would likely work.
Eric in North TX wrote:

It works for sure. Of course on my toilet it took me several _years_ to figure that out. Used to be that toilet would 'stick' about every 2nd or 3rd flush. None at all after I hung the weight from that link. Of course I just replaced that toilet with a "Toto". Wish I had known about those fantastic fixtures years ago. No more double or triple flushes to get the job done.
Harry K
replying to Harry K, amsterdammer 71 wrote:

Cut an irrigation tubing in the length and wrap that around the chain, it should reduce/prevent the "knotting" problem. When cutting the tubing in the length, it looks like a straw. Humphrey P.
On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 11:44:09 PM UTC-5, amsterdammer 71 wrote:

toilet chain and flapper problems since this thread was originally started 9 years ago.
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

be dropped long ago.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

the chain so there is just a little slack when the flapper is closed and the handle up.
--
Keith

Tried that, but I don't get a good flush, it seems to need a little slack for the flapper to work properly. I have maybe 1/4" slack, but the problem occurs when the flapper is up.

The flush handle may have several holes to attach the chain; one at the end, one center and one close to the handle. I have made adjustments by selecting a different hole to secure the chain.
-- Oren
Eric in North TX wrote:

If the other suggestions don't work well enough to satisfy you then just replace the chain with a length of nylon fishing line. Works every time.
HYH.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Eric in North TX wrote:

Fishing line. I use 30 pound monofilament. The hardest part for me is tying the knots since I'm not a fisherman, so my knots look a bit gross. You need to carefully use the amount that leaves only a little slack in the line when the flapper is down so that you don't have any excess to catch on parts.
I've been using if for nearly about 10 years and never had a problem; no problem with the line but the flappers wear out. Currently one toilet (about 30 years old) has had the same flapper and and fishing line for about 5 years. Newest toilet is a replacement(about 4 years old), and I will certainly fix it with fishing line when it develops a problem.
Eric in North TX wrote:

Some chains & hooks seem to work well and some don't. With the ones that don't, I've been able to solve the problem by replacing the hook with a tie wrap. This works very well and has solved the problem with 2 toilets that I have tried it with. The problem is that the tie wraps wear through and breaks after a few years. Then you have to replace them.
I like the idea of the fishing sinker. I'm going to try that next time.