Toilet Flapper

Can anyone help me..I have just replaced a new toilet flapper on our toilet (tried this for the first time,40 yr old female),,and I have to hold the handle down until all the waste goes down,,someone at work told me to tighten the chain in the tank, there is also a type of rubber weight on the chain (the old one had this also & it worked fine),,Please help..thanks

Reply to
john246

With out knowing which flapper you used "generally" there is a method to keep the flapper up till most of the water in the tank has exited. some use a hollow chamber in the flapper to trap an air bubble so it will float until the lowered water lets the bubble escape, some higher end ones have a pocket on the back side that holds water and lets it out through a pin hole in the bottom. There may be others that I haven't seen, I'd try removing the rubber weight and see how that effects it, or your friend may be right and the chain may be too long. these are contrary devices, and most have to be fiddled with to operate properly, but once you hit the code, you should get years of service.

Reply to
Eric in North TX