Tinting ceiling color or not?

I have been receiving conflicting advice on whether or not to tint the white ceiling paint with some of the wall color.

Our painter is not crazy about the idea but others have said that it takes some of the harshness out of the white (note most of our wall colors are pretty light earth tones and pastels anyway).

Any advice/experience from the group? If going with tint, what "ratio" should be added?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

For the first 55 or so years of my life, ceilings were white. Period. No tints, no colors. Not so taday. It is not uncommon for ceilings to be a pastel or even darker. Just watch an of the decorating shows on TV and you will see all sorts of color combos.

When we painted our last room, we bought a very light paste paint that matches the wall paint. Looks good to me. Maybe your painter gew up like I did and he has just never seen some of the newer decorating ideas.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My personal advise is to use white.

I like the tint, especially if the walls are a strong or dark color. It believe it looks better. So why did I suggest white? Simple, if you decide to change the color of the room you will also need to repaint the ceiling. If that does not bother you, then go with the tint.

It is your home and you should do what works for you.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's one of those great ideas like polyester leisure suits and Nehru jackets. By all means..go "modern".

Reply to
curmudgeon

White is not " white" , it is usualy greyed for coverage. If you pick white for ceilings and a beige tone for the walls it will not look right, you need a beige tone white. Regular white "greyed white " goes with blues and greys.

Mixing in wall color balances it out, usualy a quart or so. But it depends on your color scheme, and starting with " ceiling white" which is greyed is a mistake. Use a premix " beige " white. I just had 2 ceilings Faux finished dark and it looks great , the ceilings are now worth looking at. Your painter is color blind unfortunatly, and not much of a decorator in a decorating business. Use your instinct, not your painters.

Benjamin Moore has the best colors and people there can usualy direct you. Sherwin Williams is a second or third. You say you are using Earth

  • beige tones, so definatly do not go standard " Greyed" ceiling white. Same for Trim color White is greyed, based to blues and grey. Pick your colors well, once they are up , they are up.
Reply to
m Ransley

Depending on the depth and gloss of the wall color the 20+ decorators I work with use the following guidelines when they are not using a separate non-white color for the ceiling.

Semi gloss wall paint, really light color, same paint flat on ceiling.

Really dark wall color, use a different color (NOT white)

Almost all other colors, use flat on ceiling at about 50% tint level.

There are almost no white ceilings in a professionally decorated home (no insults intended to anyone). I have some white ones in my own home.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I think a person should do whatever they want, but if they have a really poor sense of color and balance they need to rely on some one who does. My wife does oil painting (landscapes) and has excellent taste so she picks all the colors. That said, there is nothing wrong with white ceilings, especially in kitchens and baths. Oh yes, most of our ceilings are white, but most of our walls are very light. And, those professionally decorated houses maybe very striking but one would quickly hate many of them after living a month with some of those paint schemes.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

What did people do before the Internet when they needed to know what color to paint the ceiling?

Reply to
Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

I'm convinced those shows are set up to sell paint (and other stuff). Fisrt show - Must Paint Wall WARM Color. Then the next show - Must Paint Walls Light Neutral Color to Sell. Then the next show - Must Paint White Kitchen Walls to Darker Modern Color. Then the next show - Must Brighten Dark Kitchen.

Cheers, Banty

Reply to
Banty

The boy's about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Reply to
Foggy