Tiling over painted brick

Hello all,
I've got a fireplace with a 9' brick wall that the previous owner painted white. Quite ugly. Anyway, I want to tile over it but I'm not sure what to use. I don't want to go thru the trouble of taking off the paint and I don't feel like putting up Wonderboard. Is there a mastic that I can use that will adhere the 12x12 tiles to painted brick? I friend suggested mirror mastic. Any thoughts on this?
Troy

I would rent a grinder with an extremely aggressive stripping wheel. This wheel appears to have hundreds of small sheets of sandpaper stacked around the circumference. Go for the coarsest grit you can find. This will take off most of the paint and probably scratch the hell out of the brick, but it would make for a surface that accepts mastic quite well. Obviously hang a tarp to keep the mess out of the rest of the house and wear appropriate safety equip. If you don't strip the paint, you're really asking for the paint-to-brick bond to carry the weight of the tile. I wouldn't. You've already mentioned wonderboard.. or hardibacker and that would work also. At least you know your tiles would all be flush.
Bob
You'll be unhappy with the result if you tile over the brick. The surface most likely isn't planar. I'd attach lath to the brick, apply a scratch coat of mortar and tile over that. It's better than using Durock or Wonderboard in this situation.
RB