Tileing old kitchen floor.

I'm going to be replacing the vinyl floor in my kitchen and laundry room with 12" x 12" porcelain tile. I will be taking up the old vinyl as well as the 3/4 inch underlayment. I am guessing that the subfloor is 3/4 inch as well. What has been recommended so far is to lay down 1/2" Wonder board with screws and mastic. This is my first tile floor and I want to get it right. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have been told that porcelain instead of ceramic tile is the way to go.
Doug
the cementous backer board is a must. also make sure the floor is level. i was not aware there was a diff between porcelain and ceramic tile, shows how much i know !
Yeah, me neither. I just started pummeling the sales person with questions. I wanted to know what the difference was between the low end and high end tiles. I figured they were expensive for a reason. Porcelain is much harder than ceramic and is fired at a higher temperature. Ceramic tiles are better suited to walls. I will be using cement board underlayment and will also level to the best of my abilities. Just hope I don't run into any large unforeseen problems. Should be a fairly straightforward install. I have to rent a special saw to cut under the counters to take up the old 3/4 underlayment. Fun, fun, fun.
Doug