Tile versus carpet?

I'm looking at buying a 2000 square foot, 20-year-old house in North Texas, with a concrete slab foundation - most carpeting and kitchen floor covering will probably need to be replaced - I'm trying to decide on tile versus carpet for the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, etc. (not the bedrooms). Esthetics aside, assuming equal quality carpet and tile products, how much more (percentage) should I expect to pay for tile versus carpeting (materials + installation)? Thanks.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome