Tile questions.....

Hi! We're remodeling our master bathroom, and we currently have ceramic tile on the floor atop a bed of mortar. My first question is, providing the old mortar bed doesn't get shredded to hell after chipping up the old tiles, is it possible to lay new marble tiles over the old mortar bed (Old mortar is on plywwod) or do we have to rip the whole shootin' match out?
Secondly, I've heard you can butt marble (12x12's) up tight when you lay it and not have to use grout.....a look I much prefer. Is this doable?
Thanks for any help. I'll probably have a zillion questions before this project is done. Lori
Stu Pittasso wrote:

Sure. But they'll never be tight enough to avoid dirt getting into the space inbetween.
Used to have floors laid chock-a-block like that in Mexico. Made of "mosaica"...basically terazzo tile. Had scrub with muriatic acid around 2-3 times a year to keep it looking even half way decent.

I would not lay an new floor over old mortar. It should come up pretty easy once the tile is removed. A flat shovel would work for removal.. Question how are you going to maintain the finished areas, doors into other rooms when you have mortar down already.
Yep you can. Plan on buying at least 20% more tile. If there is a chipped corner your going to have to use that tile for a cut area.
Thanks guys! I went hammer happy today and just ended up tearing the whole thing out. Just ended up being easier in the end. Thanks for the advice! Lori