Tile counter top over laminate? Help !

I am re-doing my kitchen countertops and looking into tile. Has anyone ever put tile over top of a laminate counter top. If so how?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks Randy

Reply to
Randy Keith

Haven't done that but last week I had new laminate installed over the old, they sand the old apply the glue and trim off the excess laminate.

Reply to
tflfb

I did that several years ago. My best advice: Go to a real tile shop and talk to the people there and tell them what you want to do. Then buy the stuff from them. If they charge more than the big box guys, it is a small price for getting the right material and the right advice. They will also have all the odd pieces that you will need for some of the corners that you will come across and they will match the color of the rest of the tiles.

The tile job is something that you want to look good and last a long time.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I did mine, and it turned out wonderfully. I purchased a backing material that I can best describe as a fibrous cement board, which was, at most, 1/4 inch thick. I cut them to fit all but the curved edges of the countertop, and screwed those onto the countertop, laminate still in place. I laid 6x6" tile on the surface and directly to the existing backslpash (I sanded the backsplash first) and topped off the backsplash with a 1x2 trimmed to fit. Painted that to match the grout, and I was done. Made such a difference, since the counter top was gold.

Reply to
Jim