Tile Counter top

I was in the local home improvement store and they have some very nice Marble and granite 12"x12" tiles and bull nose tiles. I was thinking this would look very nice as a counter top. I could skuff up the existing counter put the tile over and have a granite counter top at a fraction of the cost, plus I could do it myself! If I do this, could I but the tiles together and have a minumal grout joint, or would I be better off leaving it at the standard gout joint? Or would I be better off forgetting the idea? Also, if I do this, should I use sanded or unsanded grout?
Thanks
You might wander around here a little:
http://www.fritztile.com/index.htm
Much thinner, much easier to work. If it makes a floor, , , , , No, I have not used it for a countertop, but I'm thinking hard about it.

very nice

thinking this

existing counter

of the cost,

together and

at the

idea?
If you do end up doing it have a standard joint (~1/8 or so) with UNsanded grout. Sanded grout is for larger joints. Use lots of grout sealer when the grout has set.

counter
cost,
and
I used a 2 part epoxy grout about 13 years ago on my kitchen counter tops and they are still going strong. BTW, today there are some new 2 part grouts with work much easier than the stuff I used. I also went straight up the wall to the upper cabinets with the tile without the typical backsplash ... a real nice look in IMO. Also, under the tile on the countertops was a 3/4" piece of plywood with a 3/8" piece of plywood over that. This, with the tile, made the proper thickness for the oak nosing (from the cabinet manufacturer).