Tile A Shower Ceiling

I need to tile my shower ceiling because the paint is always peeling.My question-The ceiling is a rough plaster finish. Do I need to sand it down level or remove the paint before applying the base (mortar?) for the tile? Will the mortar be level enough for the tile to be even?
morfred6 wrote:

Since I can't see how rough, I'd recommend you at least get it as even as possible. What do you mean by "base"? You don't need to float a mortar bed if that's what you mean. Simply use thinset to set the tile. Many setters also use mastic for ceilings. Good ones don't use mastic for anything else however.
For the cosmetics and washing out (hiding) any misalignment between the three other sides, tile on the diagonal. MLD