This Old [millionaires] House

Page 2 of 4

I imagine it will be on the TOH website. In essence, they drilled many small holes in the wall all along the areas of plaster cracking, then injected an adhesive into the holes (with a caulk gun). Then, they drilled in screws with attached large, round, plastic washers, which pulled the lath and plaster into contact with each other. You could see the adhesive squirt out the holes as the plaster and lath were pulled together. After allowing the adhesive to dry, they removed the screws/washers, skim coated the wall (is that the right term?), and when dry, it was perfect and ready to paint.
Jo Ann
wrote in message

Thank you. That's good info.
Bob
Bob F wrote:

I caught it late enough in the process I don't know the product itself, but it could be improvised readily enough. Would probably be good to find the particular adhesive as it was a two-part system--first there was a wetting agent, then the adhesive; not just a single acrylic-like caulk.
dpb wrote: ...

By that I meant the mechanical fasteners portion. The adhesive is probably significant to identify anyway...

Here's the recap from the TOH website:
"Repairing cracked plaster
Tom helped a homeowner repair an old, cracked plaster wall using a new system for securing the plaster back to the wooden lath underneath. Tom started by drilling a series of holes in the plaster and then vacuumed out the loose debris. He then sprayed a "conditioner" and injected a special adhesive into each hole. Tom then used plastic washers and screws around the cracks, which acted like "clamps," pulling the sagging plaster back tight against the wood laths. Once the adhesive had set, Tom removed the plastic washers and applied joint compound over the entire area to fill the holes and smooth out the plaster.
Where to find it?
Big Wally's Plaster Magic Brattleboro, VT 05301 802-254-1330 www.bigwallys.us"
(All above from the website, not my personal referral or anything.) Jo Ann
hillacc at yahoo.com wrote: ...

"The adhesive is a resin-based, acrylic emulsion. It has a thick, shaving cream consistency that is white when wet, turning translucent when cured. The conditioner is a thin, liquid, acrylic mixture; it is white when wet and dries clear. Both must be kept from freezing."
Interesting. Tried to find a link to the MSDS -- none provided. A Google didn't make any hits for the combination, either.
My guess is it's a repacking of some 3M/GE/somebody's adhesive w/ somebody's (is there a real "Wally"? :) ) clever idea for a way to repair plaster walls.
Power to him...
on 10/19/2007 11:44 AM Bill said the following:

A lot of the stuff is provided free. Just say "Thanks to xxxxx Plumbing Supplies" etc., in the credits.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The real question is regarding the "Extreme Makeover" show. They completely dismantle a wreck and put up a mansion. This is usually for a destitute family. How can they afford the taxes on their new mansion?
---MIKE---

I saw on one show where the taxes were paid in advanced, but don't know for how many years. I my area, if you don't do a complete new construction but just a major remodel, its taxed at a much lower rate. That's why on one of the shows where everything were demo except the garage just to qualify as a remodel.
On Oct 19, 1:57?pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

a florida family had no choice but sell their new home to pay all the taxes, ongoing property taxes, the show built a mansion n a poor area but income taxes too.
i lost interst in extreme home makeover after that, and identify with folks walking thru their home the last time before its leveled.
sure it may be in bad shape but they lived there for many years
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote in

Why do you think they are all bawling their eyes out? Before they had a place they could afford. Now they are short timers in the place before they get evicted.
--
Red...

"If women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

And of course they have to pay income taxes on the value of the new stuff.

Property tax.

Income, too. Improvements you don't pay for (or are paid by others) are income for tax purposes. Had a situation a couple years where the IRS came after the owners of one of the "Show Houses" for the local hospital. Said the improvements were income and they had to pay taxes on it pronto, Tonto.

OK - that makes sense. This reminds me - I have to figure out a way to give someone $100,000.00 when I win the lottery next week, without their having to pay taxes on it.

Gift you pay taxes, subject to all sorts of weird stuff, of course, we are talking about the IRS.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

No.

I'm not a tax pro Jim but I've done a bit of them. Generally, I would guess they would get a 1099. I have seen a few, very few, exceptions. That's why places that "give" stuff away, raffles, etc. jack the max retail value way up if they can. This they can partially write off.
You win some tickets on the radio and come the end of the year don't be surprised if you get a 1099. They don't care if you report it or not. CYA so they can write off a percentage. Saw that personally with a relative.
Just my .02, and that may be an inflated amount :-)
--
Red...

"If women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

re: You win some tickets on the radio and come the end of the year don't be surprised if you get a 1099.
Many years ago I worked part time at a bank - 1 day a week. The branch won an all-inclusive 4-day trip to Aruba for each employee and a guest.
At the end of the year, I got a 1099. When I did my taxes, the value of the trip accounted for almost 2/3 of my gross income for the year.
I guess it was worth it - I walked a girl to her class at college, I took her to lunch, and then I took her to Aruba. Our third "date". 4 kids and 24 tax returns later, we're still together.
on 10/19/2007 4:50 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:

in
Good for you! :-) I love love stories.
--

Bill