Are home shows worth the cost?

Has anyone exhibited at a home and garden show/ home improvement show? We sell pond supplies over the net. There is a local home show in March

that would give us expousred in a 50 mile radius. the registian is $250

plus joining the local chamber of commerce for $225. With product samples, catalogs, bussiness cards etc. I'm looking at around $750- $1000. I'd need to get around $1500 - $2000 in sales over the next 30-

60 days after the show. Has anyone had good or bad luck with these shows?

Richdeer3 Pond Supplies Direct email snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
hopkins.gail

I went to one. It was a total waste of money and time.

Reply to
Phisherman

No experience but sounds like a lot of bucks to do something that could be much cheaper to do with local newspaper ads. You are also not accounting for the time you will have to sit at a booth at the show plus the effort it will take in getting exhibits together. My son's ex had a craft business where she did a lot of shows and business had only slight return on investment. Better to concentrate on areas where return is better.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

If you're not going to have a retail location, or do installations, I don't think it makes sense to exhibit at a home show. You'll only be seen by a tiny fraction of the customers you want. Find out what it costs to put the smallest possible ad (but more than just a line) in the yellow pages, even if it's in the same section as pet shops which sell fish.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Frank snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:-

Has anyone exhibited at a home and garden show/ home improvemen show? We sell pond supplies over the net. There is a local home show i March

that would give us expousred in a 50 mile radius. the registian i $250

plus joining the local chamber of commerce for $225. With product samples, catalogs, bussiness cards etc. I'm looking at around $750- $1000. I'd need to get around $1500 - $2000 in sales over the nex

30- 60 days after the show. Has anyone had good or bad luck with these shows?

Richdeer3 Pond Supplies Direct email snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com-

No experience but sounds like a lot of bucks to do something tha could be much cheaper to do with local newspaper ads. You are also not accounting for the time you will have to sit at a booth at the show plus the effort it will take in getting exhibits together. My son' ex had a craft business where she did a lot of shows and business ha only slight return on investment. Better to concentrate on areas where return is better.

Frank

i agree with the others it would make more sense to put a really goo display on your web site (if u have one) as well as spend the money o advertising. such as putting flyers in some really good newspapers that have broadbase of customers inside and outside of your area. also try putting you advertising on local and area radios that might help to generate better sales. goo luck, sockiescat:

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat

We long ago stopped going to what we call the "hot tub" shows. I never buy anything or use any of the services when we do go. I may never go to another one since they are always exactly the same, sell the same brushes, mops and brooms and the same sorry fake dirty rug demonstrations.

Reply to
Jangchub

na its a scam

tell you what to do since you arent in my market take $250 of that money and put out some flyers to local landscape people and plumbers

you probably wont get any more hits then going to that event but you will have saved money

Reply to
<moo