This NG is a hoot!

Page 3 of 4
On 5/16/2014 4:51 PM, dadiOH wrote:

SM: The answer to life, the universe and everything is: 42.

SM: Sounds interesting. I have heard that Jews put a little container of scriptures on the door post of entry doors. I think it's called a Mezuzah.

SM: I wonder where dead saints find all the time to read news papers? Do they read print or online?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
| As an Orthodox Christian
Interesting. I don't know anything about that. I once read a history of Christianity, thinking that as a Westerner I should know something about the background culture, but it turned out to be sort of a genealogy backward from American Protestantism. Eastern Orthodox was never mentioned. Nor was any other branch. Not the mysterious Cathars or even the seemingly unlikely mystical flowering from people like Teresa of Avila, Hildegard of Bingen, John of the Cross, etc. So I really didn't learn much other than the political history.
| I think one of the things you missed in your wonderful | exposition (are you a professional writer?) was that | to me, and I presume other Christians, our faith is | not a blind theoretical abstract. It is a living and | defining part of me/us.
That's what I was trying to convey with the story of the Catholics. For people who see themselves on a spiritual path of some kind, faith is often more like realization than belief, I think. But people who are not religious at all usually can't see how it can work that way.
| It was not always so. I grew up going to Sunday school, even church on | occasion. I swallowed the little wafer and drank the grape juice (I liked | the grape juice, the wafers need some salt!). At the time (early 40s) there | was also an option available to parents for their offspring to attend church | school once a week for a half day - or maybe a couple of hours, don't | recall - instead of public school. My parents exercised that option so I | was well indoctrinated. I believed.
It was similar for me. We went to an Episcopal church, because my mother's best friend went there. As far as I could tell it was a womens' hat contest and I didn't see why I should have to suffer through such an astonishingly boring program. I was finally released from the sentence in 6th grade. Then I found Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces some years later. His premise was that many different faiths and traditions -- from Jesus to Odysseus to Pacific Islander myths -- were basically allegorical training manuals for attaining wisdom beyond the normal realm of human endeavor. (There's actually a very straightforward Western version of that in Plato's allegory of the Cave.) After that the how, what and why of religions didn't seem so arbitrary to me. If one accepts that some knowledge cannot be known or transmitted conceptually then it follows that the transmission would have to follow some route other than just ideas recorded in books. ....But I sense this discussion could widen into a vast array of topics if we're not careful. :)
| > was my grandfather bouncing my sister up and down on his | > knee (they liked that kind of stuff) and telling her she | > was going to hell because she was not a Mormon. Grandmother | > has the grace to be embarrassed. My sister was traumatized | > for years, not to mention pretty pissed. | | SM: I'd like some evidence of this teaching. |
It's my understanding that Mormons volunteer to be baptized repeatedly on behalf of non-Mormons, so that the latter can be saved from Hell. Is that not true? If it is true then it implies a belief that non-Mormon's go to Hell, which implies that by merely being baptized a Mormon one dwells with God after death. Doesn't it seem a bit fishy that the promise of eternal bliss should cost less time and trouble than getting a drivers license?
On 05/16/2014 03:22 PM, Mayayana wrote:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1?lang=eng
19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”
Maybe they have found a work around.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 05/16/2014 03:22 PM, Mayayana wrote:

Some truth to what you write. The baptisms for the dead occur in the temples. I've participated in these, in each of the several roles. They are done not less than one year after the person's death. We believe the ordinance is optional, the deceased may or might not accept. It is very possible that a person might be in the middle kingdom with all his (her) friends and might not want to move up. We don't believe that God forces anyone to be saved or exalted. And we sure try not to force anyone either.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/16/2014 5:40 PM, Todd wrote:

years to find a religious organization which didn't preach the fear of any particular deity when you may backslide because you're human and lack the perfection of our God. It's a wonderful feeling to know you're accepted no matter who you are and what others outside the church may think of you. We never push our beliefs on anyone or damn them for being nonbelievers. Our love of our fellow man is extended by our God toward everyone. If you're interested in finding out more about the most inclusive religion of all time, I'm posting a link below. ^__^
http://goo.gl/opyl
TDD

Love micro loans!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 5/16/2014 6:22 PM, Mayayana wrote:

Mormons believe in three "degrees of glory" plus outer darkness. Baptism is the key to the highest degree of glory. There are two degrees of glory and outer darkness, which don't need baptism.
If memory serves, this is mentioned in 1 Cor chapter 14, in the new testament. But, not really understood by many churches. Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial.
If you define Hell as the same as outer darkness (cast out of God's presence, with weeping and wailing and all that), then few non-Mormons go there.
Perhaps the Department of Motor Vehicles has little to do with Heaven?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Who would wonder about $350,000? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I'd agree with that.
I would add that they also help keep us from killing each other (though with only moderate success) and that they convey considerable power upon those in charge of the manuals. ____________________

I'd agree with that too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 5/16/2014 6:53 PM, dadiOH wrote:

I went to a church dinner last night. They had too much food, and sent food home with people. I scored some oatmeal cookies, and some orange juice.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/15/2014 4:29 PM, Oren wrote:

Steve
On 05/14/2014 11:25 PM, Zaky Waky wrote:
Zaky is right about one thing. This newsgroup is a, a, a, oh crap, I forgot again. Who is Zaky again? Is Zaky still in the Navy?
Dang!! I thought he said "hooter". :O(

Only YOU, at age 12.
On 5/15/2014 2:25 AM, Zaky Waky wrote:

To add to your amusement ...
*plonk*
HTH, John
John wrote:

On 5/18/2014 9:37 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I never plonk or block anyone. There is an old saying, "Know thine enema. Don't let it get up your ass." ^__^
TDD

I was told by the missionaries in 1970 that if I did not join the Mormon church, I would not be able go to any form of heaven, and would burn in hell. Now, I understand they no longer preach that, along with hundreds of other things they have changed in their "doctrines" and "prophecies" they have received through the years. So, it therefore fails the test of the bible re: prophecy. If a prophecy is real, it will come to pass, and will not change. They must have some office like 1984 where the forecasts and prophecies are changed yearly. I know that the Book of Mormon has hundreds of versions where changes have been made.
Steve