This DIY Power Outlet Adds a Pair of Good-Looking Plugs to Any Desk or Surface

Page 1 of 2
If you're thinking about adding a power outlet to your desk or workspace but you don't want to just slap in a power strip, you could do worse than this DIY desktop outlet. Instructables user dlewisa was looking for a sleek, space-saving power option for his desk, so he decided to build his own.
Dlewisa essentially went to the hardware store and got the components to make a wall outlet (with an eight foot extension cord) and went to work. He also glued together a simple wood housing for the outlet so he could use it safely without risk of fire or electrocution, sanded it down, and painted it so it would look good on top of a desk or cabinet. Hit the link below for the full step-by-step, including the parts required and how to assemble them. If you're feeling really adventurous, you could slap in something like these previously mentioned USB outlet covers so you can power gadgets and charge your devices at the same time.
We know a simple power strip would accomplish the same goal here, but dlewisa explains why he went the DIY route over just buying a ready-made product at the Instructables link below. Besides, we have to agree: the end product looks great, suits his needs, and would look even better embedded into a desk surface, kind of like this retractable in-desk power strip.
http://lifehacker.com/5980794/this-diy-power-outlet-adds-a-pair-of-good+looking-plugs-to-any-desk-or-surface
-- Stephanie: What did you do today? Leonard Hofstadter: Well, I'm a physicist, so I just thought about stuff. Stephanie: That's it? Leonard Hofstadter: I wrote some of it down.
On 02/02/2013 06:39 AM, Metspitzer wrote: [snip] >

http://lifehacker.com/5980794/this-diy-power-outlet-adds-a-pair-of-good+looking-plugs-to-any-desk-or-surface
I made a version of that a few years ago, but I didn't make a webpage for it (mine is better because it is in a blue box).
http://i.imgur.com/q4WvBCy.jpg
Jon
I see only one plug, in the picture. The black plug, to the left. I do see two white sockets. For me, an outlet strip works fine. One plug, four sockets.
[...]
Metspitzer wrote:

Yes, but you could also do better than this project.
Why do all this work to make a pedestal for the receptacle, when instead it would take far less time and effort to install the receptacle flush with the surface of the desk. ?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Extension-Cord-Outlet-Box /
You can also buy stuff like this:
http://www.globalmarket.com/filestorage/gallery/manufacturer/270/695270/prod/0_1346986133654.jpg
http://www.tropegroup.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/215-383-Herman-miller-big.jpg
http://www.globalmarket.com/filestorage/gallery/manufacturer/270/695270/prod/72_1345106976585.jpg
http://images1.cableorganizer.com/powertap-grommet/images/01-PowerTap-Grommet_power-data_side.jpg

As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about installing a receptacle face up, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

On 02-02-2013 14:44, Metspitzer wrote:

That would make most power strips a bad idea, no?
--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:37:44 -0500, Wes Groleau

Mounted flush, right side up, they probably are a bad idea. Of all the power strips I have, I don't believe any have the outlets facing upwards.

I have outlet strips with outlets on three sides. You would have to mount it upside down or hanging to comply, and isn't designed to be mounted.
Greg

You really do like octopus wiring! Got a link to one of these killers?

I could not find them being sold by the manufacturer anymore. I bought a few which I thought was a great deal by Curtis. Some kind of buyout. 6 outlets on the sides so walwarts face up. 3 more on top. Filtering and surge. Long cord with small footprint plug.
Greg

Actually found a picture, even cheaper than I paid. Different plug.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=sp8200t
Greg

It looks like they were intended to hang.

I wonder why?

They were probably discontinued because they were such a bad idea.

Most outlet strips are used face up. I'll agree it's not the perfect idea, but just take a look at images of outlet strips, boxes.
Here is one even more versatile.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-Pivot-Plug-Surge-Protector-12-Outlet/5723583
Greg
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:37:44 -0500, Wes Groleau

No
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:37:44 -0500, Wes Groleau

An outlet mounted face up on a table top seems like a bad idea.

Eveery outlet strip I have seen ended up with the outlets facing straight up when they are used.
That's a lot of bad ideas.

Eveery outlet strip I have seen ended up with the outlets facing straight up when they are used.
On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 15:33:12 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

Exactly zero of mine are. Most are screwed to the bottom of tables/desks or to the wall. Why would they be pointing up? Sounds like you're into octopus wiring.
On Feb 2, 7:07pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

What exactly is your definition of "power strip"? Is it limited to strips that are intended to be fastened? I think folks saying the outlets typically wind up facing up are including the typical power strip that isn't mounted, it's just plugged into the wall and winds up behind a cabinet or similar. All the ones I have like that lay on the floor with the outlets pointing up.