This "Advanced Power Ultra" DAWN soap (new): Anyone try it? (Sticks on my hands)

I do a lot of shopping at Costco. Last time I went, I was out of Dawn soap. Instead of having the Dawn I was used to, they had this new stuff, Dawn ultra, Advanced Power, Overnight soaking power IN 5 MINUTES.

Now, I didn't read all that when I took it off the shelf, with the "ultra" word making me think it was just some minor upgrade to the stuff I'd been using for the last 30 years.

So as usual I dilute it like 50 to 1 and put it into a spray bottle. Today my hands were dirty, so I tried spraying on them, and started rubbing them together, etc.

Anyway, the stuff WOULDN'T COME OFF, at least not til after a two minutes of hard rubbing under a stream of water.

QUESTION: has anyone else had this problem?

That is, thinking you could use it just like "regular" Dawn, you get this surprise -- won't come off.

(By the way, there's really no instructions on the bottle saying you were to use it any differently from regular Dawn.)

Or am I the only one?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

I haven't used it.

The Dawn website says their ultra products have twice the concentration.

Another site has a pdf containing the ingredients for the many Dawn products, but it doesn't give the amounts.

Ultra Dawn® Advanced Power Ingredients Function Water Solvent Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Cleaning Agent Sodium Laureth Sulfate Cleaning Agent Lauramine Oxide Cleaning Agent Alcohol Denat. Solvent Sodium Chloride Viscosity Increasing Agent - Aqueous PEG-8 Propylheptyl Ether Cleaning Agent PPG-26 Viscosity Increasing Agent - Aqueous PEI-14 PEG-10/PPG-7 Copolymer Cleaning Enhancer Phenoxyethanol Solvent Methylisothiazolinone Preservative Protease Cleaning Enhancer (Enzyme) Amylase Cleaning Enhancer (Enzyme) Fragrance For more information Follow this link

Those top 2 after water are the typical detergent anionic surfactants found in liquid soaps. There is nothing really special in there.

Were your hands dirty from something unusual?

Reply to
Mike Easter

Don't discount the possibility of counterfeit product.

If not counterfeit, it is interesting how a manufacturer can take a great product, modify it with a new name, just to take up additional shelf space. While possibly lowering the cost.

A bit of a reach, but there is a possibility that this product dissolved your epidermis which then continually is sloughing off so the 'gooing' of your skin gives the impression of not being able to rinse off the product?

Reply to
Robert Macy

In article , Mike Easter wrote: ...

Nope, hands normal, just wanted to get body oils off them before I clean my glasses (alcohol + Bounty, which is the ONLY paper towell opticians say you can use on your glasses and NOT scratch them).

Tried it more than once, same each time. Maybe the double-concentration has something to do with it?

Oh, it says soaking it 5 minutes in this ultra dawn is equiv to overnight (in what, it doesn't say).

Question: what do they want you to SOAK it in, 100% ultra, or diluted 100 to 1? Doesn't say. What do you suppose?

David

Reply to
David Combs

OOPS! Better watch out what I buy at Costco, if what you say is true!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Not diluted 50:1, I haven't, but if I put it straight on my hands it takes a lot of warm water and hand-wringing before I can get my hands to stop foaming up.

The stench, however, never goes away, so I've gone to using my orange shop cleaner for general hand washing (Dawn is too strong for handwashing IMHO, but it is an excellent (gloved) hand dishwashing liquid).

IOW: it works perfectly at it's intended purpose.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Now remember, this isn't just the new Dawn "ultra" -- it's "ultra", but more than that:

"Dawn Advanced Power for tough food fighting OVERNIGHT SOAKING POWER in 5 minutes"

I bought some "regular" new "ultra" Dawn in the grocery store; lots of different types of the "ultra": good for hands (with aloe or something), pink, blue (I'm making this up), but the usual variety for a given brand of dishwashing liquid.

That stuff is, yes, a bit more difficult to get off your (my) hands than the regular old stuff (not available any more? Not at the store I go to.).

But this "for tough food fighting OVERNIGHT SOAKING POWER in 5 minutes", man, THAT stuff is really, REALLY hard to get off!

And it's the only Dawn that Costco sells, is why I bought it, thinking it was just regular old Dawn.

They don't say so (I think), but looks like it needs to be used with gloves.

Dilution? I must dilute it 100 to one or more, then use it in a spray bottle. Doesn't take much to get rid of grease.

David

Reply to
David Combs