Thermostat question

Hi, I'm new here. Please excuse my ignorance as most of my adult life I have lived in apartments and assisted living centers due to MS. Well, I was able to get out of my wheelchair and got a grant to buy a house. Wow! what a health benefit that has been. Question, My thermostat is a Honeywell (round, heat only) 2 wire 24 volt, there is a sticker in there that says T87F1818 2 7921 and the furnace is a Luxaire model GSU082MF series NAGOE,(that could be a Q) It's set up for propane. If I set the thermostat to say, 62 the furnace will come on at 66 and shut off at 70. Is this normal, or is it time for a new thermostat. If time for a stat, are the programmable ones any good?
Thank you
Stone It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffeemaker.

The T87F is the most popular and some argue, the best thermostat put out by Honeywell, and with the right sub-base, can run a heat pump, electric heat, oil..etc.. There is a normal 4F dead band in the stat, so your on at 66 and off at 70 is normal when set to 68F you have one of two problems with the stat...one you can do, and one you cant do...unless you have the right tool.
One, its not level. 99.9% of the time, thats the problem. level it and the unit will work fine. if its working as well in the dead band as you state, do NOT adjust the heat anticipator unless after you level it, its overshooting by more than 2 degrees. then, the anticipator setting will be located on the gas valve on the unit you have.
The second and least likely issue is that its out of calibration, and should that be the case, you can buy a new one for less than what most will charge for a calibration.
Digital stats are fine, as long as they dont say Lux, or Hunter on them. Programmable....on a unit with no AC...up to you, but a waste really.
As far as that furnace goes, IF its the one that I find in my YorkNet program, have it serviced by a licenced york, luxaire or coleman dealer and it should go till it quits. Good units.
in message

uses and he (heating contractor) said it was in great shape and had a newer "Regulator?" in it. He didn't have to do much to it, just cleaned it up a bit and only charged me $30.00. Question on leveling, I just took the housing ring off it (stat) and the only way I see to check level is the top 2 (of 3) mounts for the housing ring, or is there a base plate I have to get at behind there? If not, then it's slightly off level.
Stone

I'm thinking once you get the ring off, there should be three screws holding the stat to the base. Loosen those three screws until you can pull the stat off the base. The base has two little pins across the top where you can lay a little level. The screw holding it to the wall on the right should allow you to loosen it and move it up or down as needed. Then put the stat back in place, retighten the three screws and put the ring back. You should be good to go.
Bobby
OK thanks, I figured there was probably something like that back there, but thought I wait for response before proceeding.
Thanks
Stone

Why anyone would fool around with an old mechanical thermost which when set for 62 gives a temp that varies from 66 to 70 or pay someone $30 to come look at it is beyond me. For a little more you can buy a nice accurate and programmable digital one that's very simple to install.

Because the T87F will be working long after the digital has fried itself. Read the replies, and also, a digital that is supposed to be accurate to 1F, will also have a dead band in it, and will also have to have the anticipation set in many cases, or will perform worse than the T87...thats why.

I don't understand why OP cares, anyway. You set the thermostat (during the heating season) to the lowest value that you're comfortable in. Who gives a shit what that temperature is labled, on the dial?

Stone

That was last fall, the 30 bucks was for the service of checking out the furnace to make sure it was ok as I had just moved in. That was in reference to the furnace not the thermostat. That should have been clear from the post.
Stone
What is the particular problem with the Hunter T-stats? I've had a couple of them now. (one in each house I've owned) never seemed to be a problem. But I am not a furnace/heating guy either.
Duane
in message

I have 2 relatively new Lux thermostats and have found the dial-option switch so cheap it often wont engage unless I tap it, and the heat anticipator lacking in operational comfort compared to a quality Honywell Sure allot of features cheap, that is why I bought it, features. I have a round Honywell also, it is one I know will never fail, thats why it may be the longest produced thermostat on the market, they work. On mine I have calibrated it with the wrench that used to be supplied, it adjusts thermometer temp to the thermostat . If it works adjust it and keep it.
'If I set the thermostat to say, 62 the furnace will come on at 66 and shut off at 70. Is this normal, or is it time for a new thermostat. If time for a stat, are the programmable ones any good?'
Either the thermometer portion of the thermostat is off, or, the bimetal portion of the thermostat is out of calibration. Usually, either can be adjusted. If you want very accurate precise control , then opt for a programmable electronic one ; these will provide accurate cycling of your furnace beyond what a bimetalic thermostat can. If you want a cheap one, go to Home DePot or Menards. If you want a better one, go to a hvac dealer in your locale.
So dave the HVAC hack has decided to add a new nic to his very long list of names he hides behind...
WHERE'S THE PROOF? ya lying internet FUICKHEAD
Wrong again DaveDaveDave, My Lux digital super duper crapstat does not have the incremental adjustments enjoyed on my honywell round . A reason the Honeywell round has been around forever, reliability,and accuracy. I bet you recommend Lux or Hunter as you recommend Goodman. Of course, then you have guarnteed a built in customer repair base for future income.
'If I set the thermostat to say, 62 the furnace will come on at 66 and shut off at 70. Is this normal, or is it time for a new thermostat. If time for a stat, are the programmable ones any good?'
Either the thermometer portion of the thermostat is off, or, the bimetal portion of the thermostat is out of calibration. Usually, either can be adjusted. If you want very accurate precise control , then opt for a programmable electronic one ; these will provide accurate cycling of your furnace beyond what a bimetalic thermostat can. If you want a cheap one, go to Home DePot or Menards. If you want a better one, go to a hvac dealer in your locale.
You are a total, and complete idiot Dave.
You dont even know simple things about the most common stat in the world, the T87F. I have guys that I hired that knew that the first week in tech school about the T87F as thats the stat they start on....dead band and all.
Just curious Davey....since Home Depot for example, wants over $40 now for a T87F, and the charge that most companies charge for a calibration only.....is over $70....what makes more sense? A new stat or calibration?
And if he wants a decent digital stat, hell..I can get him a Robertshaw for less.....
Can you?