Thermostat Installation Problems

Hi.
I'm installing a Honeywell RTH7500D programmable thermostat for a Nordyne Quality Aire multistage heat pump system. Everything looks ok, until I get to a part about Y (yellow), W1 (white), and W2 (black).
The book says system modification is required.
I called a heating/Air person, and he told me that the white wire (W1) should go in the Aux on the new thermostat, Y goes to Y, and W2 doesn't need to be hooked up. However, when I did that, the heat pump doesn't heat (but the fan and compressor are running!) until the temp gets a 3 degree variance, when the Aux kicks in. I'm guessing the W2 wire needs to go somewhere.
Can someone help me?
bumrocky wrote:

Did you try contacting honeywell customer support?
Yeah, I get the standard "Call your heating and cooling contractor for assistance." They want to charge $150+. If I can do it myself, why not?

They charge $150 for a reason. The biggest one, of course, is because they CAN fix it and you seem to not be able to. I think I can do plastic surgery, especially Boob jobs. I bet I could save a ton of money there but I think I'll just leave that to the professionals. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

LOL. I could see that one coming.