The water that drains from the AC

I have a portable AC that rolls on wheels, and it's vented out a window like a clothes dryer is vented. It has a drain on the back of the AC that allows you to attach a 1/2 inch drain hose and then run that hose to a place the AC water can drain to. Since I don't have an outside opening for the hose, I've just got it draining into gallon jug and empty that about once a day. Our humidity is pretty high, so it's putting out a lot of condensation water.
My question, can that condensation water be used to water plants safely, or is it contaminated and should just be tossed down the drain?
--
Maggie

It should be fine for plants. I wouldn't drink it tho. It is distilled water that has been filtering air so anything in the air, ends up in that water.
On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 12:29:50 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Maybe she is, that would explain a lot! Mad as a hatter?

OK Thanks!
--
Maggie

Works fine for watering plants. If you only get a gallon a day your humidity is NOT very high. Some days I get 3 gallons out of the dehumidifier, over and above what the AC puts down the drain.
On 9/6/2016 2:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

hmmm We get 2 - 3 gallons or more a day, and we don't have a dehumidifier.
--
Maggie

Sure, why not. It's just water. It might have a little dust from the air in it, but that gets on plants anyhow.
On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 18:29:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

It is certainly not a problem for the plants but A/C condensate is pretty yucky stuff. It is amazing what is in the air and what happens when you culture that in water. (dead skin cells, dust mites, a plethora of germs and other things that are in the air) That is the reason condensate drains clog up and why people get legionnaires disease when the drain pans hold water. They quickly can become a science fair project.
On 9/6/2016 5:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

ok Thanks
--
Maggie

On 9/5/2016 11:54 PM, Muggles wrote:

Like others say, it is just distilled water but could collect dust or germs off condenser so you don't want to drink it and you could also use in your steam iron.
On 9/6/2016 6:59 PM, Frank wrote:

It smells metallic, so I probably wouldn't use it in an iron.
--
Maggie