The unwanted pole

You should use the pole for pole dancing. Turn on some loud stripper music and go out there and gyrate and twirl with the pole. Your neighbors will be very amused.

Reply to
StepfanKing

Nobody else said it, so I will- just keep bashing at the base of the pole with a sledgehammer. If it is thin-wall pipe (like most of the rusty clothesline poles I have removed over the years), the pipe will collapse, or at least lose its grip on the concrete. If I was replacing a rusted-off pole, I would just bash down on the stub of the pole, and punch it through the concrete. If you cut the pole off with an angle grinder or Sazall, that would be how to proceed with breaking up the lump, or at least getting it flat. The concrete is usually a mushroom shape, and seldom extends below the bottom of the pipe- you can usually push it through and down.

Sledgehammers are wonderful things, but be sure to stretch and warm up first. And if you haven't hefted a 12-pounder since teenage years, best to find a teenager. Bet him $20 he can't do it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Whhoooooooooooooooosssssshhhhhhhh, over your head. Normally you'd be right, but in this case, the subject line is the straight line.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Wed 10 Dec 2008 07:22:29p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

I take it you resent the thought of being cut down to the level of the concrete.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Nil wrote in news:Xns9B70B952E1E3Dnilch1@85.214.71.121:

The best auto jacks I have for such things are the scissor jacks from junked pickups. They're heavy duty and are raised with a ratchet that comes with the jack. Used them for many things but I think the biggest load was a 16x20 1-1/2 story pitched roof shed/building so I could reposition the supports.

Steel wheel auto floor jacks can be used in the right situation.

Also, you can get cheap bottle jacks at Harbor freight for as little as 9 bucks for a 2-Ton.

Red Green

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:gL_%k.8866$D32.3618 @flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

Well, my last name got whacked off at 6 letters at some generation between Poland and the USA. Maybe it was just that they had trouble spelling their last name:-)

Couple for you Ed...

All shoes made in Poland have TGIF stamped on the inside of the heel. Stands for Toes Go In First.

Italians built a bridge across a desert section. Went back 3 days later to paint it and some Polocks were fishing off it.

Hope you take these lightly as I do. If not, my sincere apologies.

Reply to
Red Green

What looks like a big bumper jack is often called a Farm Jack. Looks like it should be a bumper jack for a Mack truck. That thing should lift about anything out of the ground.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A reciprocating saw should work at getting it close to being flush. The Ryobi electric models are inexpensive. I would rent a small jackhammer and demo at least the upper portion of the concrete.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I would suggest hiring someone with a backhoe to take it out. It may cost less than you think.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

In Poland they have jokes poking fun at Americans. For instance: How many Americans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

One

Reply to
John Grabowski

First, thank you for providing some very good information and clues. Lots of people write in about such stuff and don't even give a clue.

First, you apparently have a pretty big plug of concrete there. If you want to try pulling it out, you can use the jack suggestion, or strap a 4x4 on it for added strength, and hook a chain to it tight and pull on the 4x4 side. Hook the chain about four foot up to get leverage. If it starts bending, go to plan b.

Plan b is cutting it off flush to the ground. Any grinder will do it. Or a cutting torch. Get a hose and blow out the stuff inside the hole, let it dry, and fill with concrete. You'll still have the concrete plug there, but not the hole.

Plan c. Backhoe, and you can either dig it out, or rig it up and pull it out straight up.

I did several of these when I was doing steel work.

Sometimes, they just get to a point where they pop out, and the concrete isn't as big as once thought. Other times, the concrete is bigger, and it all depends on what you want to do with the space as to whether you take it all out or just cut off the pole.

Get a cheap grinder. You'll use it for lots of other stuff, too. Or go to the pawn shop and get a good used one for about the same price, and it will last longer.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Stop it! You're killing me!

"We will launch a massive effort to make public buildings more energy efficient. Our government now pays the highest energy bills in the world. We need to change that. We need to upgrade our federal buildings by replacing old heating systems and installing efficient light bulbs." - Barak Obama, 8 December 2008

HeyBub

"John Grabowski" wrote in news:494140ef$0$20300$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

That's an awesome one John-ski.

Reply to
Red Green

Get a couple cutoff blades for it, and any adapter needed to use them.

Reply to
Bob F

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:jaadnTyNa7exfN3UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Farm Jack...saw it listed as that in one of the Harbor Freight flyers.

Reply to
Red Green

Represent your post. :)

Get it right!

Reply to
Colbyt

Are you leveling with me?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to go back and forth with my Italian Father in law all the time trying to top each other.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:kdl0l.10366$YU2.1242 @nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com:

Been there. My brother-in-law's Italian. I mean real Italian right from Palermo. He would "Gedda da camera to takeuh da pitch."

Reply to
Red Green

You hear about the kid who was half Jewish, and half Italian. What a mixed up mess. He never knew if he was Carmen or Cohen.

You know what noise Italian helecopters make?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon