The right grease

Page 1 of 2

Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded to the semiauto.

Your owner's manual doesn't have anything to say on the matter?

No, the manual just says to use a light grease.

That's something! Standard lithium grease will do fine if for some reason the grease needs replenising.
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:40:03 -0800 (PST), Deacon_Man

No grease at all, just a very light wipe with a regular gun oil. Too much lube attracts dust and that attracts water or promotes jams.
On Feb 22, 2:59pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I thought grease because it came from the factory with a light grease. My cleaning kit only has a light oil. You say that's good enough?

== Most gun shops and some hardware stores have a handy aerosol multi- purpose protectant which will work quite well. Don't over spray and follow instructions on the can. You are just trying to keep moisture and dust from the works, not lubricate a huge load bearing machine...easy does it. ==
Talk to the folks at the gun shop. And, please look in to some combat training courses. I realize you're a rigteous man, and have a seriously good reason to carry a gun. It's wise to try and find some courses, to learn the operation, cleaning, and the laws in your area.
"The Right Grease" reminds me of the movie The Right Stuff, about the fighter pilots. I guess the right grease is what allows you to test firearms, and never refuse a combat assignment?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Need" is never the qualifier for firearms. "Want" is the operative reason.

If its only for carry and emergency no grease, it just attracts dirt, when you go to the range bit of oil or grease will keep wear down, if you shoot alot.

You got a lot of good advice already, but here's my $.02 worth. After I've been firing a gun, I do a field disassembly at home and (literally) wash the parts off with WD40. Then, while its still wet with the WD40, I apply a drop of gun oil to the moving parts, letting the wet WD40 disperse it. I use my air hose to blow the excess oil around/off. Finally, I give the non-moving parts and particularly the outside of the gun a wipe with a dry rag to remove any excess WD40. I've only been doing this for about 40 years and so far I've never had any rust or apparent wear, so it might be working. <grin> The main advantage is that it's fast and quite easy to do.
--
Nonny

Deacon_Man wrote:

First choice is nothing. Second is very light oil.
Using nothing will enhance wearing of the irregular surfaces left from the original manufacture, resulting in a smoother-functioning weapon.
As an aside, many years ago the Brazilian government contracted with Beretta to provide handguns for the military. Part of the contract was that the guns be made in Brazil, so Beretta built a factory there.
In the fullness of time, the contract expired, Brazil kept the factory and renamed the product "Tarus."
The interesting thing about the weapon is that a bad guy can grab the slide and, with a twist and a jerk, disassemble the weapon while you're still holding it!
That said, if you use hollow-points, a neat trick is to fill the hollow with dog shit and seal it up with candle wax. That way, when you shoot someone, they die of septicemia, much to the perplexion of the doctors. Probably not appropriate for a church worker...

What if you stuck a Primer in a hollow point, if it hit bone, no more bone.
ransley wrote:

Heh! We had one guy who pressed-fitted a large pistol primer - with some powder - in the nose of a .45 hollow point. He went out to a dumping ground and shot an old hollow-core door. Blew a hole in the door the size of a basketball.

Doing that to a bullett just cant be legal, but it shure would make target practice more fun
ransley wrote:

The only prohibition I know of on ammunition is that against "armor piercing" bullets (those with a sabot).
The Marines just deployed a new ammunition in Afghanistan - it's a not-really hollow point. http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/02/marine_SOST_ammo_021510w/
wrote Re Re: The right grease:

My interpretation of the article and what hoops had to be jumped in order to get the ammo, leads me to believe that America's politically imposed fighting strategy is still "when we fight, we fight to loose" like in Vietnam.
Can anyone confirm this?
Vinny From NYC wrote:

There's an international treaty against the use of dum-dum bullets. I suspect legions of lawyers had to sign-off on this new round.

Nah...If you need to shoot somebody just empty the clip into them...Just say you were freaked out and just kept shooting...The only story is yours...Dead men tell no tales...Saves us taxpayers an expensive trial as well...HTH...
HeyBub wrote:

I've always heard mercury was a good choice to seal in a hollow point but I had meaner thoughts. Gather up a bunch of old ionization smoke detectors and get the radioactive Americium 241 to put in your hollow point ammo, it shows up real good on X-ray pictures.
TDD