The Plumber

Page 2 of 2
RicodJour wrote:

No, they might have, OTOH, the price they pay for gas, an their other costs may all be nearly identical. However, gas station prices are a bit anomalous compared to many stores/products.
Even more difficult to comprehend is how 3 highly different prices at the same corner (and I have seen that with price differences as much as 25 cents (when gas was around $1.50 per gallon would indicate that the prices were based on some other consideration.

Very possible. You made a payment on the new Porsche he was traveling in.
wrote in message

OK. Australia, then. :)

I find plumbers charge wildly differing prices, so I get several estimates, and I tend to stay away from by-the-job quotes, once you think you have found a competent and honest plumber. Our plumber charges by the hour, gives significant discounts if there is additional work found that needs doing while he is here. Best to talk to neighbors, get some names. I tend to stick with independent small-business plumbers that own their own business, and work out of their trucks, with low overhead and no "storefront". I also reduce costs by buying fixtures, etc, via the Internet, then disassembling existing connections or appliances to make access easier and chargeable time shorter, and so forth.

be in, I'll trade in my pipe wrenches any day
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:20:53 -0500, "Pat in Atlanta"

You didn't marry a plumber though did you?
Ask your husband if he'd like to have spent much time in crawl spaces after having some pipes burst. Ask him if he'd like to get under your kitchen sink, _on his back_ & reach up in a tight space & try to break a fitting loose. Ask him if he'd like to have done that hundreds or more times. Digging up sewer lines, replacing wax seals.....
Ya gotta start somewhere. Ask him (if he's anywhere close to 50) how his body would feel about 20 or 30 years of that kind of day in & day out stuff.
Today I checked on replacing thermostat on my car.
The job involved removing oil filter(easily accessable and not below the car like some others), and undoing two bolts below filter. Part is $5. Repairshop quote: $3xx.00
Toyota Repair manual lists: 0.4 hour lab.
I am in the wrong business.

Then fix it yourself.
If you don't break a bolt off it'll be easy. What could go wrong?
3rd eye wrote:

I do! Except for changing a thermostat on my Explorer. Three bolts, all hard to get at, and three different sized heads, one of which I could not fit any SAE or metric socket or box end on. Another Ford better idea.

Wife, it is always a woman.
She thinks that spilled a/f in the garage could poison the dogs.
-> >Today I checked on replacing thermostat on my car. -> -> >>The job involved removing oil filter(easily accessable and not below -> >>the car like some others), and undoing two bolts below filter. Part is -> >>$5. Repairshop quote: $3xx.00 -> >>Toyota Repair manual lists: 0.4 hour lab. -> >>I am in the wrong business. -> -> >Then fix it yourself. -> > -> >If you don't break a bolt off it'll be easy. -> >What could go wrong? -> -> Wife, it is always a woman. -> -> She thinks that spilled a/f in the garage could poison -> the dogs.
She's right. Many animals die horribly from drinking "spilled" anti-freeze. http://www.cah.com/dr_library/antifreeze.html
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
Suzie-Q wrote:

True. The more important question is why would anyone have spilled antifreeze in a garage and not clean it up immediately or at least before any animal could get to it?