The first time I ever got fired:

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 15:43:48 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

technician. One day they asked me to do a repair that was against building and safety codes. I refused, so they fired me. After I got fired I applied for unemployment. The EDD (Employment Development Department) told me that I wasn’t eligible to collect unemployment because I wasn’t laid-off but was fired. I appealed their decision to a judge who, although accepted the fact that I was asked to do something illegal, never-the-less found that I wasn’t qualified to receive unemployment because “the law says that I cannot receive unemployment if you are dismissed form a position”.

Answer you sue the former employer for wrongful dismissal.. It's usually a state criminal and civil violation to punish employees for refusing to perform an illegal act.