Thank God for GFI's

My stupid pony decided to chew an extension cord in half yesterday. Don't ask me why????
The cord was there to run a fan in the summer, and was well hung on nails overhead. I am guessing a cat was up there trying to catch birds (common thing), and must have knocked the cord down. The pony literally chewed the cord in half, thru all 3 conductors. Thank God I had a GFI on the circuit.
PS. The pony got the cord slapped across her butt (which most likely did nothing) !!!!
I agree, whip that Pony with that cord... he/she should have known that cord was dangerous! Blatant disobedience by farm animals, who should know better, must be dealt with firmly and swiftly.
<<Bad posting repaired>>
<The OP wrote:> >My stupid pony decided to chew an extension cord in half >yesterday. Don't ask me why????
>The cord was there to run a fan in the summer, and was well >hung on nails overhead. I am guessing a cat was up there >trying to catch birds (common thing), and must have knocked >the cord down. The pony literally chewed the cord in half, >thru all 3 conductors. Thank God I had a GFI on the circuit.
>PS. The pony got the cord slapped across her butt (which most >likely did nothing) !!!!
Jack wrote:

Perhaps you did not know that horses avoid things that they associate with pain. Therefore by slapping the horse across the rump, he is training the horse to avoid cords in the future. Although the horse obviously did not know that the cord was dangerous, it may now avoid contact with them from now on. Or would you prefer this horse to be electrocuted?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

For that to work, the horse would have to see its ass being whipped. How do you assure that?

For the record, horses CAN see their own butt, and I did NOT whip the pony, I do not abuse my animals. But she got to see the cord wrapped up in my hand, and then got the bundle smacked across her butt. The noise bothers them more than the hit. I think she knew what she did, and I think she learned when she first chewed it. GFI or not, there had to be a few sparks in her mouth, and she got all nervous when I was removing the cord, and was backing away from it. Horses are not stupid.
Mark
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:02:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Probably never felt a thing. I was replacing a light fixture in a half bath for a tenant. The switch was outside the door. I had the door open and had a hold of the hot wire. She walked by and says,"You don't have to work in the dark." Yep, flipped the switch. Luckily the light was on the outlet circuit. The GFI tripped and I felt nothing. With the wire hanging out of the ceiling, I was the only thing that completed the circuit.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The horse takes care of that for you. They are smarter than you think. They see everything. I can walk up to the corral with a bucket and they will crowd up to the fence. If I walk up there with a rope, they will be on the other side of the corral.
Ever heard the term "show him the whip"? They know what it is. I believe you have not been around horses much.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I have a totally blind horse. She and a few others go in the barn at night. (not in stalls, just loose). The other night I walked up to the barn to get a tool I needed in the house. I looked in the barn and could see they were all asleep. I was as quiet as possible, no flashlight or anything. For about a minute, none of them moved or reacted. Suddenly the blind one turned her ears, nickered and walked over to me. After that they were all at the gate (across the doorway), looking for treats. Now you tell me how this blind horse knew I was there??? It was NOT the ones that can see that reacted first..... I must say this has puzzled me ever since.... I made no sound of any sort....
Horses are extremely smart, and ponies even smarter (which is why ponies are so sassy, because they know how to pull your strings).
Mark

Whip the owner for not installing an electrical device properly. Really, with how cheap one can purchase BX cable and some boxes are it's criminal not to do the job properly.
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:10:01 -0400, "wkearney99"

And why do you think I installed a GFI? Barn fans are moved according to the wind direction, so there is no permanent place for them. Also, BX is not intended for damp locations, and barns are damp. BX will rust. Steel or PVC conduit is used. All of my romex wiring in the barn enters a piece of steel conduit 8 (or more) feet off the ground. It remains romex inside the pipe, the pipe is just for chewers. Horses often chew wood, but one in 100 chew something else. I think I found the 100th. I used to have a mule that chewed up garden hoses too. That one was easier to "fix". I took a hunk of the hose he chewed up, crammed a piece of steel pipe in the end with a cap and hose clamp. I turned on the water and watched him chew. Suddenly the water blasted him in the face. (I was laughing my butt off). He never chewed another hose after that.
Mark
Not to make light of this, but:
"I could tell my parents hated me. The first bath toy they got me was a toaster!" -Rodney Dangerfield
"Doug Kanter" <> wrote in message > Not to make light of this, but:> "I could tell my parents hated me. The first bath toy they got me was a > toaster!"> -Rodney Dangerfield
Along your same line of thought.... I think the pony had ulterior motives going after that cord. After all, Maradcliff did say the cord was well hung ;) Sue Minocqua, WI Yamaha '00 VStar 650 FOR SALE '04 TW200 (mud = fun) Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937 Kawasaki '01 Ninja 500R
"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss

Dirty girl! Get over here. :-)
"Doug Kanter" <> wrote in message > Dirty girl! Get over here. :-)
oh baby oh baby, hehehe Sue Minocqua, WI Yamaha '00 VStar 650 FOR SALE '04 TW200 (mud = fun) Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937 Kawasaki '01 Ninja 500R
"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:26:49 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

If someone throws a plugged-in toaster in your bathtub, and you manage to not touch it, or at least not touch it when you are also touching something outside of the tub, and you get out of the tub without touching it, will it hurt you?
I don't want to try this without a firm answer from one of you guys.

"Good evening - this is channel 10 news. Local man was poached in his bath tub today..."
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:53:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

A lot you know! We don't have channel 10 here, so I'm safe.