texture paint over old ceiling tiles

Our kitchen has those old while ceiling tiles with the holes. The tiles are 12" square, iterlocked and glued to the ceiling. Because of the crown moulding and other issues, we are thinking of using texture paint to give a swirl or knockdown finish over the tiles to avoid removing them. Has anyone tried this?
I haven't tried texture paint on acoustic ceilings, but I have used it on everything else. The only thing that would concern me is the weight, considering how much you would have to use to effectively cover an acoustic ceiling tile. Let us know!!! Suzi