Testing dollhouse circuits and bulbs

I've noticed a lot of TV is dumbed down in a peculiar way. The tell the joke, leave enough time for those who get it to laugh, and then explain the joke further on in the script. I believe pretty strongly that the major TV networks of the 50's and 60's, and to a lesser extent later years, really "synchronized" the cultural patterns of Americans. What we see now is outlets that cater to laser-narrow special interests. Network TV, for many people, defined what is was to be American. People would discuss the shows the next day at work as if they were discussing a large, common extended family. Remember how obsessed the nation was with "Who shot JR?" TV barely has enough clout now to pull off anything similar.

up.
Yep, it was probably me. I slander the living and the dead, but mostly the dead because they don't sue with the same vigor as the living. I believe you'll see it in the episodes towards the end of the series. From what I read, it was boredom and I remember it because the writer used the word "ennui" which I did not know at the time. I couldn't quite figure out what the author meant when he said "He drank from the ennui." Was it a bottle? A disease? At first I thought it meant "he drank from the toilet" but I've only heard that happening when people take ketamine (animal tranks) or smoke Jimson weed (one of the guys who lived in my dorm name Mouse who also took 7 tabs of LSD to prove he was braver than anyone). If you ever seen a human drink out of toilet, you'll never forget it. Voted mostly likely to be dead before graduation.

Are you sure you're not looking at his stunt double? (-:

Maybe some ham reading this will tell us why. Could be that the radios didn't work so well on the move or that a moving car complicated the filming and sound recording. I remember an interview with the director of the enormously entertaining film "Gun Crazy" (written by blacklisted commie Dalton Trumbo):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042530 /
who talked about how difficult it was to film scenes in a moving car back then if only because of the size of movie making equipment at the time. He talked about how "button" mikes were brand new and so enabled him to place them throught the car to capture each actors' voice accurately.

These were all filmed in California, which at some point in time has stood in for every place on earth and quite a few places not of this earth. I'm stumped on this, but I haven't watched Highway Patrol in years. There are plenty of shows I'd love to see again from the 50's. What's mostly left is Perry Mason and I Love Lucy. A staggering number of old shows were recorded on tape that was erased when the shows left the air. A lot of TV history was simply demagnetized out of existence.

HP was made toward the end of Hollywood's film noir period and when there was no film work for them, a lot of directors and craftsmen ended up doing TV series, which many felt was beneath them. But they had to eat.

That's one reason why it's sad to have lost so much of even "junk" TV from the 50's. It captured so much of the essence of that society. No book, to my mind, can ever express the same sentiment as a scene from Leave it to Beaver, showing what houses looked like, what people wore, how they talked, etc. I get TCM now, and get a real hoot out of seeing movies from the 30's with wind-up telephones, furniture cabinet radios, cars without any safety features whatsoever(!), men all wearing hats. The people all have the same sorts of problems we have now, though. They just had to be circumspect in showing things like violence. In the original "Scarface" when someone is killed, they show a bowling bowl making a strike, the pins go flying and you see an X being marked on a scoresheet. Now you get to see slow motion images of pieces of brain matter spattering on the lens.

Gangster and his moll? Seen it a long, long time ago. Just watched "White Heat" again and noticed that they made their radio calls stopped, too. They had radio transponders they used to track the gangsters that were the size of vacuum cleaners!

You see some of that going with Hispanics, Koreans and Chinese nowadays. I guess if I were black I'd be happy that other minorities are lower on the totem pole.

The show "Homicide:Life on the Street" was filmed in Baltimore and every year the H:LotS group on the Internet had a drinking tour of all the buildings that were used as sets or backdrops. I went one year. It was a lot of fun. Seeing something you've seen on TV is always a weird feeling.

Careful, friend. I graduated from Brooklyn Tech!

HSPA wasn't usually considered one of the "three" special entrance NYC high schools. Once, during a transit strike, I got to attend our sister school, the all-girls Bay Ridge High School. I still have dreams about being the only teenage boy in a building full of teenage girls. Good dreams. (-:

"Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers... or the Highway Patrol. These are the stories of the men whose training, skill and courage have enforced and preserved our state laws."
Well, that's about as OT as you can get. (-: Has the OP returned to tell us how the bulbs have worked out? My newserver occasionally drops posts.
-- Bobby G.
On 12/22/2011 11:38 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I liked the TV series "Dollhouse" staring cutie pie Eliza Dushku. ^_^
TDD
<stuff snipped>

Don't tell me you're a closet "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (where Eliza got her start)!
You're a better man than I am to follow "Dollhouse." I tried but it was just too odd and complicated for me to follow. Of course, I watched "Lois and Clark" without paying too much attention to the plot only because it featured a young Teri Hatcher, who's at least as cute as Ms. Dushku. I watched "L&O: CI" mostly for Kathryn Erbe - I've got a thing for petite women with Glocks holstered on their hips.
So I get where you're coming from.
-- Bobby G.
On 12/24/2011 9:57 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Dollhouse was a little more cerebral than Buffy. I watched it more for the way it made me laugh at their treatment of technology. I get a kick out of SciFi shows where the space cowboys are running through the engine room of the Draconian Dreadnaught starship which is full of pipes and electrical panels that look suspiciously like the chiller plant at the university hospital complex. At least the set dressers cover up the part of the machines that reads "Carrier" or "Trane". o_O
P.S., I love old Japanese monster movies, I'm usually laughing so hard I can't breathe. ROOK! GODZIRA! ^_^
TDD
<stuff snipped>

^_^
Agree about FX for FP. They let you into Calfornia? Must have been before your reptutation became nationwide. (-: I worked on two films as a still photographer that filmed in the DC area. "The Amateur" and "Raise the Titanic." I often thought that locations crews should share their knowledge with the Pentagon because if anyone knows how to take over an urban area with few casualities, it's a location film crew.
I'll always remember the "starter" check I got as a down payment from the RTT location crew's accountant that had no name, address or phone number on it. I got worried so I took it to.the bank where I was friendly with the teller (she eventually died from AIDs because she had sex with a bisexual male model ONCE but that's another sad, sad story). Anyway, I handed her the check for $200 and asked "is this check any good?" After punching in the check's numbers, her eyes widened and she said "It's *plenty* good!"
Ironically, there's a crime movie called "City of Industry" starring Harvey Keitel and the woman who was in Star Trek. She was meant as a bride/gift for some alien wedding and is supposed to fall madly in love with the first person she sees. Due to some mechanical error, she falls in love with Captain Picard. (A similar plot was used in the original series with the woman who wore the raw dilithium crystal necklace that saves the day). I guess I have to turn in my trekkie badge - can't remember the name of either one although I think the ST:TOS woman was Frances Nguyen. Crap, now I gotta go look it up.
Before I do, I've got one more complaint that should really resonate with the ex-Navy guys here. On way more than one occasion, huge shipping barrels and crates tumble from high storage racks in STNG. One nearly kills Worf. I've been on a number of subs (mostly old diesel boats) and there isn't a THING that's capable of flying around and killing someone that isn't secured in some way. Two hundred years from now, they've forgotten all about cargo's tendency to fly around the holds if not strapped down.
Back to the irresistible ladies from space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_Nuyen
Star Trek (1968) "Elaan of Troyius"
The other one was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Industry_(film) *
starring Famke Janssen as Rachel Montana
a starring role in the 1992 Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Perfect Mate"
* The picture at this site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FamkeeJanssenOct08.jpg
makes her look like Mariska Hargitay's twin sister although I never thought the two looked that much alike.
Who's Mariska Hargitay, aside from being a running gag in Mike Meyer's "The Love Guru" she's the daughter of the late Jayne Mansfield and now the head detective on L&O:SVU.
The closest I can get to bringing this back on topic is that Famke's married to the son of architect Tod Williams. (-:
-- Bobby G.
On 12/27/2011 12:47 AM, Robert Green wrote:

What has always completely cracked me up about the future and space cowboys is the distinct lack of dentists. Dentists must have been outlawed by future Democrats for wrecking the self esteem of the poor who couldn't afford tooth whitening and braces. o_O
TDD

<stuff snipped>

Considering future uses as well as the current one, I think she did fine with an autoranger. I think it's far more useful to a novice than a dedicated range meter and probably less expensive, too. The problem is obviously getting the probes in place to read the voltage.

What if it's a transformer with a rectifier? (-: (But I don't think so in this old a device.)

That's been established. They're parallel.

Damn you Micky, now I have to get up from my nice warm bed to grab some bulbs and my ohm meter.
[time passes]
I got a reading of 1.1 ohms for my bulbs so you're right. I suspect an autoranging decimal error of some sort or skin contact interfering with the reading. Several of my bulbs in storage had substantial corrosion on the button contact that affected the readings as well.

I don't think it matters much as dead bulbs are an "either/or" proposition. Dead or not. Some small resistance or none at all. If she has an audio continuity function, a beep is good, none is dead.

That is pretty rotten life expectancy but is completely in line with almost all the bulbs being burned out. Have you come across many 12VDC laptop supplies? Everything I've got runs from 15 to 18VDC. Maybe times have changed. The key word in finding a power supply for this app, as you've noted, is "Regulated." Unfortunately not all regulated power supplies are marked thusly but a simple check with a voltmeter usually tell you. All the unregulated power supplies I've tested run several volts above rated voltage without load. .

I would have expected someone to know enough back then to use a lower than rated voltage to increase the life expectancy of the bulbs. I agree with your reasoning about why only one bulb is still lit. However, I think instead of yanking the transformer out or rewiring that she look into finding the same size bulb but with a much higher voltage. Won't be as bright but won't burn out as often.

GACK!!!!! I know it, I've seen it and just don't believe people do it. I got an electric wheelchair for a steal for my Dad because someone had simply twisted (WITHOUT TAPE!) the connections to the two 12V 60A batteries together and the chair lurched as it moved. The seller made me sign a receipt that said "runs smoothly" because it managed not to burp during my test ride. I took the risk on a brand new $3,000 heavy-duty chair for $150. Fixed it for 50 cents worth of heavy duty wirenuts. FWIW, the wires that were twisted together were between the main fuse and the battery. Those big 60A SLA batteries could have made quite a mess of things if they touched.

Dude, even I don't know what you're referring to here, I'm betting Jennifer won't either! (-"

I'm betting about now the intended recipient and the giver might get a bigger kick out of throwing the house in a wood-chipper that rewiring it. Testing all those sockets without some sort of socket adapter probably is never going to happen, although it's what a thorough electrogeek would do. I just found a couple of dead bulbs (in the good bulb drawer!) by testing for resistance so I'm betting I could solder up a "socket probe" pretty quickly. It's much easier to do on 110VAC sockets by using a screw in socket adapter.
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 03:51:30 -0500, "Robert Green"

And with a bulb in the circuit, there IS a load - and the voltage drops.

I just found the ideal tester adapter for testing that dollhouse lighting system. E-Bay # 320766470225 $3.99 including shipping from Hong Kong. Thread it into the E10 socket and you have an MR16 socket that is a piece of cake to connect to with the meter probes.
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:04:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wow, that is good.
The top description says 1 pcs but the other one says 10. Either way it's cheap enough. It's probably only one?

Considering it includes shipping from Hong Kong I'd say it's a safe bet.
I ordered 10 9 watt MR16 lamps on friday and got them YESTERDAY - less than a week from China.
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:04:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks for that lead. I have one on order.
<stuff snipped>

From what Jennifer has said, I don't expect we'll be seeing those readings any time soon. It's really hard to get to those sockets without an adapter of some sort. The best we can hope for (and it's a pretty good indicator) is that we can assume the voltage is not too much above 3 volts because the bulb would glow very dimly if underpowered and very brightly if overpowered. From what Jen said, it looks about right, if not a little dim. I suspect the original builder knew that the bulbs needed slight underpowering to last a longer time.

God, the perfect straight line! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! (-:
I'm surprised you guys even got her to buy a meter since it's probably not going to be very helpful. I can imagine how hard it is to position the probes for this application. That's OK, though. Everyone should own a meter and know how to use it. I hope she got an audio continuity meter that beeps when there's continuity. That's all that matters in this case - knowing that the bulbs have broken filaments. No sense in glazing over a neophyte's eyes with technotalk. I've done so much tech support I can "hear" people's eyes glaze over when I am on the phone with them. (-: It's an art.

Yet another reason to not even try, especially if a consignment of replacement bulbs is on the way. The wrong ones will burn out very quickly. I'm betting that since the last bulb she has lights in a few sockets, she knows all she needs to know about the transformer, especially if it's sealed in tight (bad design without an access panel).
-- Bobby G.
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:42:00 -0800, Jennifer Murphy

You have one good bulb and 11 dead ones. There has to be a transformer somewhere in there. They are not running 120volts to those bulbs. If you can find replacement bulbs, you are in good shape, the transformer may be weak, causing dim lights.
I know you want to make the house authentic, but I still say that for cost and safety reasons, get a string of LED christmas lights (which do come in sets of 12), and fit them in so you dont see the actual bulb. Make a little shade around them out of a paper or plastic (LEDs do not get hot). This will save lots of cash, time, and be much safer.
You could even use the existing wires, use a 6volt DC wall wart transformer and solder in LEDs (with resistor) to each socket, and never have to replace bulbs or worry about safety.
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 03:33:27 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Now dangerous are 6 or 12 volts light bulbs, or the wires supplying them? You can't even feel the current with your hands, only if you put the leads on your tongue. (OTOH, 110 volts on your tongue are very very bad.)
How much cash can she possibly save?
OP, go to a toy store or doll house forum and ask about replacement bulbs. Also look here: http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronics/Lamps-Holders/_/N-5g6p/ and the links there. http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronics/Lamps-Holders/Lamps/_/N-5g6r / has a way to search by base, size, etc.
I don't think any of these are small enough http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=miniature%20lamp&origkw=miniature+lamp&sr=1

It aint the 6 or 12 volts that's dangerous, it's the 120v line coming into the doll house, which is probably an old frayed cord without ground. But you probably wont understand any of this..... you likely sufferred brain damage as a child when you stuck better knives into all the outlets in your home.
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:08:18 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Absolutely. That's why it will be no safer with LEDs, which will still require a transformer.

"Probably", you say. Yes, it may or may not be deteriorated. That'swhy I suggested she look at it. We don't even know how old this is, maybe decades younger than the radios and appliances I have from the 30's that still have good cords.

A ground!!! Do you use a ground for your other lamps? Tensor lamps and those made just last year with a transformer in the base don't have grounds, and they are still UL approved. Or you think a ground is needed for a transformer that is encased in wood and she can't even reach without taking apart some of the house?

Everyone is being nice here but you can't manage that. What's wrong with you? Have you been diagnosed yet?
<stuff snipped>

Good point. And not just any knot, but an Underwriter's knot:
http://electrical.about.com/od/wiringcircuitry/a/underwriterknot.htm
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 04:49:17 -0500, "Robert Green"

Hmmm. I''ll have to study this. I spent a lot of time in high school trying to tie one of these things, with a model right in front of me. They never came out symmetric.

Lordy! You must be dumber'n a bag o' hammers. (kidding!)
Sounds like the cause may be a learning disorder. Are you perhaps dyslexic? That might explain it.
nb
--
eschew obfuscation