Testing dollhouse circuits and bulbs

Considering future uses as well as the current one, I think she did fine with an autoranger. I think it's far more useful to a novice than a dedicated range meter and probably less expensive, too. The problem is obviously getting the probes in place to read the voltage.

What if it's a transformer with a rectifier? (-: (But I don't think so in this old a device.)

That's been established. They're parallel.

Damn you Micky, now I have to get up from my nice warm bed to grab some bulbs and my ohm meter.

[time passes]

I got a reading of 1.1 ohms for my bulbs so you're right. I suspect an autoranging decimal error of some sort or skin contact interfering with the reading. Several of my bulbs in storage had substantial corrosion on the button contact that affected the readings as well.

I don't think it matters much as dead bulbs are an "either/or" proposition. Dead or not. Some small resistance or none at all. If she has an audio continuity function, a beep is good, none is dead.

That is pretty rotten life expectancy but is completely in line with almost all the bulbs being burned out. Have you come across many 12VDC laptop supplies? Everything I've got runs from 15 to 18VDC. Maybe times have changed. The key word in finding a power supply for this app, as you've noted, is "Regulated." Unfortunately not all regulated power supplies are marked thusly but a simple check with a voltmeter usually tell you. All the unregulated power supplies I've tested run several volts above rated voltage without load. .

I would have expected someone to know enough back then to use a lower than rated voltage to increase the life expectancy of the bulbs. I agree with your reasoning about why only one bulb is still lit. However, I think instead of yanking the transformer out or rewiring that she look into finding the same size bulb but with a much higher voltage. Won't be as bright but won't burn out as often.

GACK!!!!! I know it, I've seen it and just don't believe people do it. I got an electric wheelchair for a steal for my Dad because someone had simply twisted (WITHOUT TAPE!) the connections to the two 12V 60A batteries together and the chair lurched as it moved. The seller made me sign a receipt that said "runs smoothly" because it managed not to burp during my test ride. I took the risk on a brand new $3,000 heavy-duty chair for $150. Fixed it for 50 cents worth of heavy duty wirenuts. FWIW, the wires that were twisted together were between the main fuse and the battery. Those big

60A SLA batteries could have made quite a mess of things if they touched.

Dude, even I don't know what you're referring to here, I'm betting Jennifer won't either! (-"

I'm betting about now the intended recipient and the giver might get a bigger kick out of throwing the house in a wood-chipper that rewiring it. Testing all those sockets without some sort of socket adapter probably is never going to happen, although it's what a thorough electrogeek would do. I just found a couple of dead bulbs (in the good bulb drawer!) by testing for resistance so I'm betting I could solder up a "socket probe" pretty quickly. It's much easier to do on 110VAC sockets by using a screw in socket adapter.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

From what Jennifer has said, I don't expect we'll be seeing those readings any time soon. It's really hard to get to those sockets without an adapter of some sort. The best we can hope for (and it's a pretty good indicator) is that we can assume the voltage is not too much above 3 volts because the bulb would glow very dimly if underpowered and very brightly if overpowered. From what Jen said, it looks about right, if not a little dim. I suspect the original builder knew that the bulbs needed slight underpowering to last a longer time.

God, the perfect straight line! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! (-:

I'm surprised you guys even got her to buy a meter since it's probably not going to be very helpful. I can imagine how hard it is to position the probes for this application. That's OK, though. Everyone should own a meter and know how to use it. I hope she got an audio continuity meter that beeps when there's continuity. That's all that matters in this case - knowing that the bulbs have broken filaments. No sense in glazing over a neophyte's eyes with technotalk. I've done so much tech support I can "hear" people's eyes glaze over when I am on the phone with them. (-: It's an art.

Yet another reason to not even try, especially if a consignment of replacement bulbs is on the way. The wrong ones will burn out very quickly. I'm betting that since the last bulb she has lights in a few sockets, she knows all she needs to know about the transformer, especially if it's sealed in tight (bad design without an access panel).

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Anyone ever see one of the few one hour TwiZone eps with Robert Duvall (with hair!) called, IIRC, "The Dollhouse?"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Bulbs, batteries and fuses all get tested before installation. Especially batteries. Must have been 10 times that I've been fooled by "dead in the package" batteries. I discovered two bad bulbs tonight, allegedly new in the package, when testing for resistance.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 10 times, I'm getting out my meter!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Agreed. The best thing to do would be to take a short piece of dowel rod, use a brass screw at the center of one end attached to insulated wire to act as the bulb center contact, wrap some bare wire around the outside of the dowel to server as the socket wall contact and hook those leads to the meter's probes with alligator clips. That would take about 10 minutes in the shop and has a big advantage over any screw-in method of not having the wires twist as you screw it in. The dowel tested should be "push and read."

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I don't throw away bad parts. Period. (-: Unless there's absolutely nothing I can cannibalize or jury rig later.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Lethal. One of the very first stories I reported on when I became a police reporter was one of a little 3 year old kid who was on the kitchen counter and kissed his reflection in the toaster. DOA. It turned out that the insides of the toaster had been mangled by repeated attempts to remove stuck items with metal forks. He apparently made contact with the sink rim with his foot.

I'm thinking there's probably an old model train transformer in that house - they had multiple taps and short-circuit protection that made a funny "tick-boom" sort of sound when activated.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Good point. And not just any knot, but an Underwriter's knot:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Good advice, but for radios. I doubt there's very much metal in the unit anywhere so there's nothing really to ground. As Micky pointed out, the only potentially dangerous part is the line cord. I don't think polarized plugs are much of an issue, either, because of the transformer and what sounds to be all wood construction. The OP can tell us if there's metal used that could become a shock hazard. The easiest solution to all of that is to install a GFCI plug.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I agree. Highly unlikely, but anything's possible. Install a GFCI plug like the one that came with my air conditioner and polarization and grounding aren't much of a issue anymore.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Sorry, Mitt, I am not one to gamble. You shouldn't either, being a Mormon and all.

Stormin Mormon

I say again: I think your idea needs more thought. Which is gentle for "I don't think it is practical, or workable."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe. I think I have a vague recollection.

I might have grown up there.

Reply to
micky

With your annoying top posting, and your triply annoying >- in the ilne above, people replying to you by just clicking reply delete everything needed to know what "your idea" is. If you're not willing to stop top-posting, get rid of the >- line.

The rest of my reply is where it should be.

What one could do is remove the bulb, break the glass gently with pliers, and use the wires with alligator clips to connect to each filament end support. The radio shack alligator clips are mostly covered in vinyle and a piece of tape around one of them will help to prevent shorting. Then put the bulb back in.

If that doesn't work solder a wire to each end support, bend the wires away from each other , or put some tape or better yet glue of the right sort in between them. and then put the bubl back in. .

Reply to
micky

Do you save used pens? I have a hard time explaining to people why I save so many things that don't work.

Reply to
micky

P&M

LOL

Yes, you're right, and I might be wrong in that flicking and licking probably doesn't work well for really small bulbs. I do that mostly with 60 watt bulbs, or automobile turn signal bulbs (the big ones, made for American cars and real men.) and maybe one size smaller.

Yes, I'm in Balltimore. A get-together would be great. I read another group and we had one and it was a lot of fun.

Laurel is fine.

Reply to
micky

I heard on the radio that it was 55 at 6 in the morning, in Baltimore. That struck me as strange.

Reply to
micky

Hmmm. I''ll have to study this. I spent a lot of time in high school trying to tie one of these things, with a model right in front of me. They never came out symmetric.

Reply to
micky

yabbut, it was legitimately cold last week (NoVA) so it all evens out. Ish.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Lordy! You must be dumber'n a bag o' hammers. (kidding!)

Sounds like the cause may be a learning disorder. Are you perhaps dyslexic? That might explain it.

nb

Reply to
notbob