temporarily removing a vampire tap

Hello,
We're replacing a section of drywall in the kitchen and cold water supply pipe comes out of this section. Usually it would be simple to just cut a small circle out of the drywall for the pipe but this one already has a vampire tap (i think that's what they are called) on it with the flexible icemaker supply tubing.
I'm thinking that if we remove that it might be a real pain to get reseated and leak free afterwards. Anyone played with this problem before? Unfortunately I don't really have the pipe available to just cut it, sweat a new cap on and retap it.
If its a pain to reseat we'll just slice a groove out of the drywall and patch it but if it's simple i'd just assume cut the circle out instead. What I don't want to do is remove it and find out it's impossible to reseat.
thoughts?
thanks ml

it would be almost impossible to reseat it to not leak. they tend to really corrode internally.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A "vampire" tap is just a leak waiting to happen. IMHO, the smart way would be to replace that pipe and install a regular water valve with a connection for the ice maker. Not sure from your description, but it sounds like you have just a capped stub out with a vampire tap. If that's what you have, then I would most definitely replace the cap with a real valve; or cut back the pipe at the tap and install a real valve if there's enough room. Fix it right while you have the drywall off now or rue the day.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price

sound advice. getting the new valve as we speak.
thanks ml
Vampire tap = saddle valve?
yep. a non-issue now as we sweated a new piece of copper into the ell and installed a supply valve w/a compression fitting, as was suggested by everyone who answered.
one less thing to worry about

I hope you drove a wooden stake through the heart of that valve. Otherwise, you may be seeing it again.
On Tue, 3 May 2005 14:49:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Vampire Tap ???????
snipped-for-privacy@AmericaOffline.com wrote:

Saddle valve: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/humidifier/1saddlevalve.html AKA Vampire tap. And now you know! :-)