Telephone Ringing Problem

Hi
When our telephone rings, it doesn't RING RING any more - it just RINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGS.... one constant long ringtone, which is really very annoying. But everything wlse appears to work fine.
We have two phones. and 4 BT type sockets, and either phone does the same in any of the four sockets.
We are with TalkTalk for line rental and calls and broadband. Their custoemr service is rubbish but their telephone & b/band service has been very good....
We have a little junction box in an upstairs cupboard, where the main line in is split into the four extensions. Inside the box, four coloured wires (Blue/white, White/orange, Orange/white and White/Blue, with the spare green and brown wires terminating at the junction box - that's all from memory but I can check if necessary) are connected to their respective wires in the extension cables.
Can anyone help?
many thanks!
TT

are in the UK or Europe somewhere???? Most standard ringing, in North America, for example, is a two second ring, followed by a four second pause, then another 2 sec. ring etc. Each complete cycle taking six seconds. Whereas yours has a 'Ring- ring' during the two second portion of a similar six second cycle. Just for the record; the colours you mention sound like two 'pairs' of wires; using a standard telcomm. industry colour code. Pair 1. Blue with white mate. Pair 2. Orange with white mate. Pair 3. Green ... etc. Pair 4. Brown ...... Pair 5. Slate (sort of purple colour) .... Then these can be repeated with mate wires of a different colour etc. to make hundred of combinations, as used in large cables. So if you have one service into the house it is 'likely' to be on the first or Blue/White pair of wires. Strange symptom! Has the supplier changed their ringing software or something? Your phones are they standard wire line phones or are they electrically powered cordless ones?
terry wrote:

Yeah, he's calling from near Manchester.

Hi
Yes, sorry forgot to mention we're in the UK. We have two phones connected, one wired and one cordless - same on both. Never heard this type of ring in the UK before - and it won't be the supplier because we're rural and the national supplier, BT, sub their lines to the smaller players, so they're all using the same local exchange.
Anyone got any ideas?
thanks
TT
In article

Unless the ring lasts longer than 2-3 seconds, it's entirely possible that your local provider has changed/upgraded their switch and is now using one that rings the line PROPERLY!! [ducking]
IOW, on this side of the Atlantic, we're used to a single ring of approximately 2-3 second duration followed by a 2-3 second pause, then another ring, etc.
If your ring is LONGER than what I've described, you have a repair issue. Call BT. Make 'em EARN the money you pay them. Good luck.
--
:)
JR

I didn't know they have phones in the UK ?
On Mon 11 Aug 2008 12:03:46a, told us...

You don't get out much, do you?
Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)

On 11 Aug, 08:03, snipped-for-privacy@bedridden.com wrote:

Yes. Just two.
;-)
posted for all of us...

& Tubby = BT
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

paddytt wrote:

Sounds like a feature of the provider switch.
You could try uk.d-i-y which includes UK electrical.
--
bud--