Telephone line troubleshooting

Page 2 of 2
DA had written this in response to http://thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Telephone-line-troubleshooting-269065-.htm :
PaulD wrote:

about 24

Sounds like a wiring corrosion or equipment problem. Nothing on your end though, you'll have to wait until the repair tech gets there. The DSL signal is voltage-independent and so it is not affected (enough to shut it down). I know is sucks to sit and wait but you need to let the PhoneCo handle that.
Good luck!
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 257112 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
DA, 11/27/2007,9:30:27 PM, wrote:

You may be right about the corrosion or equipment problem. If not in this case then in many other instances this is true. That is one main reason Verizon is dropping copper lines and going to FiOS. The maintenance costs of corroding copper and especially the power supplies at the Central Office used to power everything is prohibitively high. And of course the other main reason is they had to find a way to compete with the cable companies in regard to delivering video content.
The initial cost of bringing fiber all the way to the premise is high but the future dividends will pay off handsomely, at least Verizon is betting the farm on it.
--
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing." ~ George Bernard Shaw

Paul thanks for posting the update. Sounds like it was a 'cable pair' problem although two miles sounds like a long way for DSl. Maybe while phone was out, the DSL 'was getting through' on one side of the cable pair or through a high resistance cable join in one side of the cable pair.
In article

A common scenario: A maintenance "section throw" was done in a large(er) cable serving your area. That is, a "bad" section of cable was replaced. This typically involves a splicer at each end of the section. With voice coordination between the two technicians, they cut-off the old cable, a 25-pair group-at-a-time and connect the new group.
During this process it is not uncommon for a pair to be transposed to a different (wrong) pair. If the affected pair is a "working" pair, that subscriber is OOS (Out Of Service) until they report the trouble.
That your DSL remained usable is technically feasible under a couple or more scenarios including a split pair, the section throw was "ahead" of the DSLAM, etc.
--
:)
JR

Mean Evil Bell System
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:26:13 -0800, PaulD wrote:

There should be a network interface box where the wires come into the house, if you are in the US. Open the box where it indicates "customer" side and disconnect the jumper strap. You should then be totally isolated from the phone company's system. Next plug a working phone into the jack. If you get dial tone, then the problem is within your house. If no dial tone, then it's a phone company issue.