Telemarketers <sigh>

Not as good as shooting them, but it's something. Let us know.

Reply to
Micky

Unfortunately, Nomorobo is not available on traditional analog landlines or wireless phones at this time.

Reply to
Andy

Uncle Monster wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Sort of along those lines... having worked for a number of years with a deaf man, I managed to learn sign language fairly well -- which enabled me to get rid of a panhandler quickly and easily by signing to him, I'm sorry, I can't hear you, I'm deaf (which involves, among other things, pointing at one's ear). My deaf friend thought it was hilarious when I told him about it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Per Don Y:

Standup comic I heard once said "When a telephone solicitor calls, I tell them that I have lost my job, my wife left me, the dog died, the house is being foreclosed, my 13-year-old son is on drugs, my

12-year-old daughter is pregnant...... and *they* hang up on *me*....
Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Do you carry a white cane to make it easier to cross streets in a leisurely fashion? :>

We had a deaf couple across the street some years ago. Very "disturbing" to engage in conversation -- having to talk to someone *else* ("interpreter") to communicate with the actual party of interest. It's *hard* not to look at the person that *seems* to be responding to you and look at someone else, instead -- who has their attention fixed on that other person!

But, I learned (quickly!) that it's almost an affront to NOT look at the deaf party and learn to ignore the "voice in your ear" -- unless you need to converse with that person, directly.

[I can finger-spell, grade 1 braille, etc. but never invested the effort to truly learn ASL -- or G2 braille. "Just enough" to let me convey short messages...]
Reply to
Don Y

Start into a spiel as if *you* were calling them: "Hi, I'd like to tell you about an exciting new offer that you've been specially selected to receive -- but, only if you act promptly! Get out your credit card and be ready to provide me with the card number when I ask. OK? Here we go..."

Reply to
Don Y

PhoneTray lets you record anything you want such as the above message into a .WAV file and it will play when the phone rings. You can also record different WAV files and play them to individual incoming calls depending on the calling number.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

The above needs to be interactive. When the telemarketer stumbles, you need to be able to *push* hard with your spiel -- put him back on his heels, on the defensive. By being aggressive and ACTING like you truly ARE the "caller" -- so he's left confused when he hangs up on YOU, The Telemarketer.

E.g., when he tries to assert that he's the caller, you can reply: "Huh? What number have I reached?? Isn't this 555-1324?" ... "Oh, gee, I'm sorry. But, hey, would *you* like to take us up on this exciting offer...?"

Reply to
Don Y

When people call and ask to talk to Christopher, I usually tell them he was fired for theft, and we've not found a replacement. I'm Bob from the temp agency. Either that, or he died in a plane crash over Brazil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Rocinante wrote in news:1pu4sth9ttoon.1wzypnw98e5j6$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

Is this like the Panasonic answering machine phone (phones?) combination I've seen in Walmart for about $130?

Reply to
KenK

Lane wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sounds good! Anyone else try this one?

Reply to
KenK

Muggles wrote in news:nass50$6tl$ snipped-for-privacy@xyh22b37-wqple5c211x.eternal-september.org:

I can't get to a menu when I go to a number on my list. Will have to play with it some more. Unfortunately, I suspect my carrier (Tracfone) or cell (LG) do not support this. If I start getting these calls I'll probably have to do some Googling or emailing concerning blocking.

Reply to
KenK

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How do you do that? You need a special phone? My answering machine announces the caller ID after the first ring, but if they hang up without leaving a message the caller ID is then gone. The answering machine is the only way I know to get the ID. Up until a few years ago I never got telemarketing calls so there was no need. Even now, I only get three or four calls a day I'm aware of.

Reply to
KenK

I have a "caller ID" box that saves the numbers but so does my Dish box and that is the one I use.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ok. Well, I guess you can only do what your phone allows.

Reply to
Muggles

=========snipped=======================

I have TracFone and LG34 and use Advanced Call Blocker for that phone. It is $1.99 but some times on sale for $.99

Arnie Goetchius

So he identified himself as a crook, not a reputable businessperson. The DNC works with reputable businesses. The fact that they are breaking the law will tell you all you need to know about them.

God, this never-ending bitchfest about crooks ignoring the DNC is exactly like people whining that they posted No Trespassing signs on their property and some people trespassed anyway.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

It may not be displayed anymore, but there are many devices that keep a list of every caller-id that has called, message or not. Some have a limit of 50, or 100.

This one is new for only $7.50. It requires batteries and it doesn't say much about it. Don't buy this one.

This one has a lot more buttons, 18 instead of 6, for only $15. That's less than a dollar a button. BELLSOUTH CALLER ID CALL WAITING DELUXE,VOICE MAIL, & MORE FUNCTIONS CI-7112 NEW

Emerson EM60 Jumbo Talking Caller ID with Red Ringer Light

Only 4 or 5 buttons (the pictures don't agree) but it does have review.

Reply to
Micky

Ken I have CPR Callblocker also from Amazon. It's great. It was easy to install, I got it right the first try. It's easy to block calls and unblock them also.

Reply to
lottosue

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I've read some reviews on it. Several talk about marking numbers to block by pressing Block button when you answer the calls. I don't answer them. Most hang up on my answering machine. I wouldn't talk to them anyhow. Reviews also said the numbers can be typed in manually.

Another blocker I tried, the Pro Call Blocker, automatically saved all calling numbers. Then you could block or delete them. That is what I hoped CPR does.

Make any sense?

Reply to
KenK