Telemarketers

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:38:21 +0000, KenK wrote:

https://www.nomorobo.com/
Per Trol Odioso:

Are you using it?
Impressions ?
--
Pete Cresswell

alt.home.repair:

I've been using Nomorobo for about 2 weeks now. See my post from a couple of minutes ago. Short answer: "Seems to work great!"

I am, for years now.

Greatest thing since sliced bread. (Really, see my other post, I had a blocked call as I typed the response.) You hear one ring only. All it takes is hearing that one ring in the shower and you'll be very happy.
--
Dan Espen

Per Dan Espen:

I never thought of that aspect: "Rinnnnng..... Silence.... YEAH...it's *working*"
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/26/2016 12:45 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Until they call back a minute later. Or, you happen to be asleep and the phone wakes you.
The connection shouldn't exist (in practical terms) unless YOU want it. Why should I have to be bothered by a call that YOU KNOW I DON'T WANT??
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

five one-ring calls a day. One ring means they were intercepted by NoMoRobo. Now I get 1 or none a day (mostly none).
I suspect that the Robo Callers can detect that their call has been intercepted by NoMoRobo and as a result, their computer puts my number on a Do Not Call list. That's just a guess but I get far fewer calls that are "one ring" now then when I did when I started NoMoRobo a year ago.
On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 12:57:42 PM UTC-6, Trol Odioso wrote:

    Unfortunately, Nomorobo is not available on traditional analog landlines or wireless phones at this time.

Your options are limited. The phone numbers displayed on your phone are almost certainly spoofed. The callers are trying to scam you, and will therefore not respect the voluntary National Call List, nor will they stop calling you even if you request it.
I've been keeping a list of all junk calls for the past 2 or 3 years because I was interested to see how often the same phone numbers were used, what telemarketing campaigns were out there. I found that most numbers were used only once, that others were used for a period of time - usually no more than few weeks - and never used again. Frequency of calls seems to go in waves - for a few weeks I'll get several a day, then for a few weeks I may get only a couple a week.
Junk calls are pretty easy to recognize by their caller ID. If they say the name of a city, they are certain to be junk. If they are a long string of numbers, they are junk. This makes them easy to ignore when they do call, though of course just the ringing is a bother.
Many phone systems allow you to block a certain number of specific numbers. Mine, Comcast, has a limit of 25. This is only somewhat useful - since the number will only be used for a short time, you'll use up your precious allotment on numbers that no longer need to be blocked. OTOH, if *all* your junk calls are from the same number and never any others, the blocking feature alone would be perfect for you.
Until recently I'd been simply ignoring junk calls, but if the same number called 3 or more times, I blocked them. I keep a manual record of when I blocked the number, and I remove the oldest ones when I need more space.
The volume of junk calls had gone down a lot but as of about a month ago it started going way up again. I've gotten tired of playing the game, so I finally resorted to a service I've been wanting to try for quite a while called "Nomorobo" (https://www.nomorobo.com /). It depends on your phone provider having a feature called "simultaneous ring". The feature lets you set up your main number to also ring at other numbers, like your mobile phone for example. In this case, you have it also ring at Nomorobo, who then checks the calling number against their national list of 'bad guy' numbers, and if it finds a match, it hangs up the call. When a junk caller calls you, your phone will ring once, then no more. A legit call will keep ringing as you would expect. It's free and non-commercial, and seems to be effective - I've had about a dozen junk calls blocked, two were missed, and no "real" calls have been blocked.
I hope that someday there will be an effective way to track down the actual scam telemarketers, but until then, this is the best practical solution I've found.
On 02/26/2016 11:38 AM, KenK wrote:

FWIW, the government is putting some of the assholes away. Personally, I think this pond scum should be executed.
http://www.justice.gov/usao-ndtx/pr/timeshare-telemarketing-fraudsters-plead-guilty-federal-charges
On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 11:38:26 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I got rid of my land line. It also spares me from incessant botheration during the election year.
Cindy Hamilton

I am using Ooma. Their Premier service is $10/mo and comes with wildcard call blocking and NoMoRobo integration. http://www.ooma.com
I also have a program on my PC called PhoneTray Free, which works with my voice modem. Prior to using Ooma, this was my primary method of call blocking. With PhoneTray, the phone rings once or twice (I set it to twice) so that the modem can collect the call info to decide if the call should be zapped. I believe PhoneTray Free is no longer available now, but the company has a pay program called PhoneTray Pro for $30. http://www.phonetray.com
The two of them work very well together, for example, Ooma can't block by caller-id, but phonetray can. Belt and suspenders.
Dee
Dee wrote:

KenK wrote:

CPR Callblocker. Simple, easy to set up, and it works. Well worth the price for the peace and quiet.

Sounds good! Anyone else try this one?
On 26 Feb 2016 16:38:21 GMT, KenK wrote:

I just bought several of the Panasonic cordless phones that let you block a single number or a range of numbers. No more robo calls.
--

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
2/27/2016 4:12:46 PM

Is this like the Panasonic answering machine phone (phones?) combination I've seen in Walmart for about $130?
Ken I have CPR Callblocker also from Amazon. It's great. It was easy to install, I got it right the first try. It's easy to block calls and unblock them also.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I've read some reviews on it. Several talk about marking numbers to block by pressing Block button when you answer the calls. I don't answer them. Most hang up on my answering machine. I wouldn't talk to them anyhow. Reviews also said the numbers can be typed in manually.
Another blocker I tried, the Pro Call Blocker, automatically saved all calling numbers. Then you could block or delete them. That is what I hoped CPR does.
Make any sense?