Telemarketers

Page 1 of 3
What do you do about these pests? I get a series of calls every night between 8 and 9. My answering machine announces the numbers and they are always the same. The answering machine answers, they hang up. Why call over and over and ... Obviously I'm never going to pick up. They just enjoy harassing people? Why do the phone companies let them get away wuth this? Should be easy for the companies to spot them. I get other calls in the mornings. All my friends that I asked have the same problems. Mine is an unlisted number.
I tried a Pro Call Blocker through Amazon but the instructions were terrible and it made several obvious errors. Returned it the next day. Anyone find a blocker that works?
There must be a better, more polite way to sell to (and cheat) people.
On 2/26/2016 11:38 AM, KenK wrote:

Same one calling? If so, you may be able to stop it by answering the phone and tell them to put you on their do not call list. Or just telling them you are not interested. The dialer may be programmed to call until they get a real person.
Many of the calls originate off shore and the phone company and government can do little to stop them. AFAIK, the phone company cannot just tell someone to stop a legal action just because some people are bothered by it. Even if they could, there would be a new number for the outgoing call in minutes.
On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 8:50:09 AM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We have ATT's U-verse and can block such calls, BUT only 20 of them so these A-holes keep faking new numbers. Once in a while, I'll answer (with caller ID blocked): "Federal Trade Commission. How may I direct your call?" This unexpected reply creates a pause on the other end before they start into their worthless spiel. "This is an office of the US federal Government. Who do you want to talk to?" CLICK!
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:24:58 -0800 (PST), Shade Tree Guy

They hang up any time you try to use one of those tricks. I am sure they have heard them all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I
one of my favorites
On 02/26/2016 11:24 AM, Shade Tree Guy wrote:

I also use AT&T , thus far I have not reached the limit or 20
I have also signed up for nomorobo
https://www.nomorobo.com/
Between the two virtually all nuisance calls have been blocked.
The phone will ring one time though
On 2/26/2016 9:38 AM, KenK wrote:

As long as there are fools who respond to these folks, they will continue to try this tactic. Can you blame them? What's the downside: prison time? fines? No, just a "bad reputation".
Meh.
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 10:27:28 -0700, Don Y

Well, I think someone should shoot a few of them.
Or at least plant a story that several were killed.

I just got an invitation to join a class action suit against a company that abuses DNC. I sent back the card. Lets see. I don't expect anything but who knows.
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 23:26:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not as good as shooting them, but it's something. Let us know.

Sort of along those lines... having worked for a number of years with a deaf man, I managed to learn sign language fairly well -- which enabled me to get rid of a panhandler quickly and easily by signing to him, I'm sorry, I can't hear you, I'm deaf (which involves, among other things, pointing at one's ear). My deaf friend thought it was hilarious when I told him about it.
On 2/28/2016 2:13 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Do you carry a white cane to make it easier to cross streets in a leisurely fashion? :>
We had a deaf couple across the street some years ago. Very "disturbing" to engage in conversation -- having to talk to someone *else* ("interpreter") to communicate with the actual party of interest. It's *hard* not to look at the person that *seems* to be responding to you and look at someone else, instead -- who has their attention fixed on that other person!
But, I learned (quickly!) that it's almost an affront to NOT look at the deaf party and learn to ignore the "voice in your ear" -- unless you need to converse with that person, directly.
[I can finger-spell, grade 1 braille, etc. but never invested the effort to truly learn ASL -- or G2 braille. "Just enough" to let me convey short messages...]
Per Don Y:

Standup comic I heard once said "When a telephone solicitor calls, I tell them that I have lost my job, my wife left me, the dog died, the house is being foreclosed, my 13-year-old son is on drugs, my 12-year-old daughter is pregnant...... and *they* hang up on *me*....
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/28/2016 2:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Start into a spiel as if *you* were calling them: "Hi, I'd like to tell you about an exciting new offer that you've been specially selected to receive -- but, only if you act promptly! Get out your credit card and be ready to provide me with the card number when I ask. OK? Here we go..."
Don Y wrote:

PhoneTray lets you record anything you want such as the above message into a .WAV file and it will play when the phone rings. You can also record different WAV files and play them to individual incoming calls depending on the calling number.
On 2/28/2016 7:21 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

The above needs to be interactive. When the telemarketer stumbles, you need to be able to *push* hard with your spiel -- put him back on his heels, on the defensive. By being aggressive and ACTING like you truly ARE the "caller" -- so he's left confused when he hangs up on YOU, The Telemarketer.
E.g., when he tries to assert that he's the caller, you can reply: "Huh? What number have I reached?? Isn't this 555-1324?" ... "Oh, gee, I'm sorry. But, hey, would *you* like to take us up on this exciting offer...?"
On 2/28/2016 4:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

When people call and ask to talk to Christopher, I usually tell them he was fired for theft, and we've not found a replacement. I'm Bob from the temp agency. Either that, or he died in a plane crash over Brazil.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

How do you do that? You need a special phone? My answering machine announces the caller ID after the first ring, but if they hang up without leaving a message the caller ID is then gone. The answering machine is the only way I know to get the ID. Up until a few years ago I never got telemarketing calls so there was no need. Even now, I only get three or four calls a day I'm aware of.

I have a "caller ID" box that saves the numbers but so does my Dish box and that is the one I use.

It may not be displayed anymore, but there are many devices that keep a list of every caller-id that has called, message or not. Some have a limit of 50, or 100.
This one is new for only $7.50. It requires batteries and it doesn't say much about it. Don't buy this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390988424703?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid
This one has a lot more buttons, 18 instead of 6, for only $15. That's less than a dollar a button. BELLSOUTH CALLER ID CALL WAITING DELUXE,VOICE MAIL, & MORE FUNCTIONS CI-7112 NEW www.ebay.com/itm/like/390988424703?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid
Emerson EM60 Jumbo Talking Caller ID with Red Ringer Light http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emerson-EM60-Jumbo-Talking-Caller-ID-with-Red-Ringer-Light/371258874246?_trksid=p2141725.c100337.m3725&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152338%26meid%3D5251e56b5ca447cba0d91fa6bd0e18dc%26pid%3D100337%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D390988424703 Only 4 or 5 buttons (the pictures don't agree) but it does have review.

On 02/26/2016 11:38 AM, KenK wrote:

Our "public" phone number is a Google Voice number that forwards to our "private" number from PhonePower. I don't think we've ever had telemarketer calls to our "private" number, but there is provision to block specific numbers at either point. BUT we keep getting calls from -- seemingly -- the same telemarketers but with different phone numbers each time, all of them probably "borrowed" anyway; they don't leave messages on the answering machine We just keep adding more and more numbers to our "blocked" list.
As for telling telemarketers to put you on their "do not call" list or that you are already on the official list, I read recently that one such replied, "We'll call whoever we damn well please."
Perce