Teflon or brute force

When I use threaded fittings for schedule 40 irrigation pipe, do I use Teflon tape or do I just use force until they stop leaking?
Thanks
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

I have a lot better results with dope than tape.
Bob
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:43:09 -0700, Walter R. wrote:

Pipe dope. It lubes the threads so you don't have to use so much force to get it tight.
Thanks.
Do I use regular pipe dope for galvanized pipe, the stuff that comes in a small tube, or is there a special dope for PVC?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Ooops guess I didn't know what schedule 40 pipe was, sorry :)
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
You want the stuff that says it is for PVC.
Bob

Us the Teflon containing pipe dope. Works on virtually verything. HTH
Joe
Walter R. writes:

Neither.
Use good fittings that don't leak much. A lot of the imports are poor moldings with flash or other flaws.
Let them leak a little. Think of it as another drip nozzle for free.

Irrigation pipe is usually not permanently in place, so a dry assembled fitting could later seize. Teflon filled pipe dope will allow disassembly for repositioning as needs arise. But if the layout is permanent, that issue is moot. A point to consider. HTH
Joe