Teenagers pulling pranks

Page 1 of 5
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they spray-painted "Ha Ha :)" on their concrete driveway. What can be done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet papered?

The proper solution cannot be put in writing, or discussed within earshot of anyone who would deem it excessive.
Use your imagination. Pick one kid and ____ ___ ____ ___ __ ___.

You can't stop 'em, you can only hope to limit the damage.
Replace the trees with water-saving models and they won't be able to use as much toilet paper as before.
sit ouside and wait for them , get some pics or catch em and call police or take them to their parents..... big dog might work.

But then, you'd have a much worse problem: A dog.

Place the TP in the locked cage next to spray paint:)
-- Oren
"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Pit Bull
Phisherman wrote:

That's easy enough: don't be an asshole. Assholes are the only ones I can recall ever getting their houses rolled when I was in school. As a result, I make it a point never to give the neighborhood kids a hard time. And in over 20 years in the same house, I've never been rolled, egged, or vandalized.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

As a former egger, spray painter, and TP vandal, I can tell you most of the time I did not even know who lived in the house or drove the car I was egging etc. The only thing that set me straight was getting my ass kicked... and it took a couple of ass kickings but I got the message of course that was a different time 1980's, I think you can't do much nowadays, maybe just tazzer the bastards a few times?
Clark...
--
Don\'t you have Google in your part of the world?

paintball gun. Taser is only good for ~15ft range. PB also makes them identifiable to police. If you could get pepperball ammo,that would be even better.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

have ZERO interaction with the local teenage population. 3 other houses in this small subdivision also got papered, apparently at random. Curiously, none of the every-third-house dogs apparently started barking, and they bark at everyone, even people that walk by every damn day. (Guess they have an 'off duty' window in the wee hours or something...) I suspect the papering is just a teenage bonding ritual.
aem sends...

When we were young, about 5 of us were camping out at the dead end in a neighborhood subdivision.
Believe it or not, we were innocent. A house in the subdivision was rolled. The cops came to where we were camping and we were naturally accused of the "crime"
It turned out that a neighbor to the house that was rolled woke up because her huge dog was barking. She saw the people that did it and she could tell the cops it wasn't us. I don't know if they caught the people that did it, but I was sure glad she was around.
I think shooting someone for rolling your yard would be a little excessive. I do think shooting someone over a lawnmower could serve as a good deterrent.
Phisherman wrote:

Texas Penal Code 9.42 DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY A person is justified in jusing deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property: (1) if he would be justified in using force against another (to prevent damage or to recover his own property); and (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believe the deadly force is immediately necessary: (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or CRIMINAL MISCHIEF DURING THE NIGHTTIME (emphasis added);
YSMV (your state may vary)
Warning: If you kill the goblin, the cops will sequester your weapon until their investigation completes. We had a 70-year old fellow in Dallas last week who had to buy a THIRD goddamn shotgun because the cops keep confiscating his weapon every time he kills a burglar!
Least the cops could do is provide a "loaner." It's not like they don't HAVE any shotguns! Bah.

Some moron posted the law about using deadly force to protect property, because he thinks it applies to kids toilet papering trees. Then, he needed to include an anecdote about shotguns because he gets all tingly in his panties when he talks about weapons.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote in

it means there may not be much TPing occurring in Texas. you could get shot for it.
Not all locales protect criminals during the commission of their crime. I wish Florida would adopt such language in their legal code.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

It sorta does. The recent (2005) passage of Florida's "Castle Doctrine" law establishes the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm. You may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.
It doesn't matter that the intruder was drunk, or negligent, or mistaken.
Further, you may not be sued for any damages sustained by the victim.
Go Florida!
How all this silliness came about:
For generations (well, at least since the Magna Carta in 1216), there exited in either black-letter or common law the notion that one's home is a "castle" and, to remain inviolate, the owner had the unquestioned right to repel intruders by any means necessary. And that right could not be gainsayed by anyone.
Then a bunch of egg-heads got together and promulgated the "Model Penal Code" in 1976. The so-called "Castle Doctrine" was absent from the MPC and state legislatures, with modest tinkering, adopted the thing wholesale. So the Castle Doctrine disappeared.
Thanks to publicity Florida generated (mainly) many states have repaired this deficiency in their state laws.

Many years ago, Florida abandoned the "concealed weapon" term and used "plain site" later. If the Po Po could see the gun on the seat, or _plain view_ it was not a Felony for concealment.
In reality you could walk around with a side arm, but was not allowed to display or carry a rifle/shotgun in the pickup back window while in the city limits of Miami. Or government buildings for a side arm.
I support any law that says I DON'T have to"retreat to the wall", before I'm allowed to fire... That's just Oren.
-- Oren

You'd have to be a fool to believe a castle law would give you a right to pull a weapon out for toilet papering.