Teen electrocuted changing bulb at gas station

Page 1 of 2

(04-19) 13:09 PDT DALY CITY -- A 19-year-old gas-station worker in Daly City was electrocuted as he was changing a fluorescent light, an autopsy found Monday.
Mustafa Algazawy of San Francisco was changing a 16-foot-long, 120-volt bulb at the 76 gas station on South Mayfair Avenue when he was electrocuted about 1:20 p.m. Sunday, said San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault.
The gas station's manager suffered a heart attack when he saw Algazawy fall to the ground, said Krisann Chasarik, spokeswoman for Cal/OSHA, which is investigating the fatality. The manager's name and condition were not released.
Algazawy "was a great worker, and our hearts and condolences go out to the family," said Cina Flores, a district manager for the gas station. She said the circumstances of Algazawy's death are under investigation.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/19/BA241D10M5.DTL&tsp=1
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/19/BA241D10M5.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0lfEcei5j
Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/19/BA241D10M5.DTL&tsp=1
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/19/BA241D10M5.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0lfEcei5j
Yes another example of fine journalism... not. Hardly any content, and the bulk of what is in the piece is wrong.
Metspitzer wrote:

Is there really any such thing as a 16 foot bulb?
Bob F wrote:

Is there any such thing as a competent journalist?

I think I will wait for the Cal OSHA report. It will even have pictures of something other than the grieving relatives. -- Tom Horne

Sure there is. But all competent journalists are unemployed.
Cuz, well, iny moron can cull press releases, and special interests as often as not submit "the article" pre-written, pre-formatted down to the column-inch, so all's the "journalist" has to do is add his byline.
I love reading the NYTimes Book Review as well.-- half those goddamm book reviewers are just profiling themselves, and/or are tyrna show the world they know more about the subject than the author they are reviewing.
The dick-waving never ends.
Heh, I was wondering about those 16-footers myself.
--
EA

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:24:58 -0400, "Existential Angst"

I worked for a company in the 80s that went to companies to change bulbs. We did grocery stores, chain stores, department stores, factories, and large warehouses. I have never seen any florescent bulb longer than 8 footers. The standards are the 4 footers. The reporter was likely enticed by a 16 foot long fixture containing 2 eight foot bulbs or 4 four foot bulbs (or doubles of them).
I cant even imagine trying to handle a 16 foot bulb without smashing it on something. Even the 8 footers can be tricky in a small or cluttered room. Most of the time we used them, they were in factories with lots of head room.

Special sized high output fluorescent lamps are made for sign lighting.

I can't find that; not online anyway.
I /do/ find specialized ballasts that are made to accommodate total bulb footage of up to 16ft. This means /bulb combinations/ that total 16ft, such as two 8-footers, four 4-footers, etc.
I've handled 8-ft fluorescents, and it's not easy. I can't imagine how hard it must be to handle one twice that length.
--
Tegger

I don't know if there is one 16', but they do make custom sizes. I had to get one for a sign that was either 10 or 11 feet long. It actually looked like two bulbs welded together. These were T12 HO lamps

I would rather change an 8 ft single pin to those 4 ft bi-pin SOB tubes! (Some bi-pin connectors are push-in, not common, but much better than the twist variety)
I would rather change an 8 ft single pin to those 4 ft bi-pin SOB tubes! (Some bi-pin connectors are push-in, not common, but much better than the twist variety)
I seem to have a problem with the pins, too. I like those single pin spring loaded types a lot better. I'm always afraid I'm going to pop the glass, and have it rain down on me.
Steve
Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
wrote

Had exactly that happen to me once.
I worked in a packaging factory in the early-'80s. My machine had a pair of single-pin 8-footers above the takeoff section. One day, while incautiously lifting and raising some very large corrugated sheets, I felt a thump, heard a heard a CRACK-tinkle, and it suddenly got a lot darker. I instantly knew /exactly/ what had happened, dropped the load and sprinted out of there. Just in time.
It took me fifteen minutes to clean up the glass and powder, replace the bulbs and continue my work. Got LOTS of respect for those bulbs now...
--
Tegger

DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Teen-electrocuted-changing-bulb-at-gas-station-437724-.htm : Bob F wrote:

I've never seen such a thing. What kind of voltage would be needed to start that monster? But if it does exist, which I doubt, how did he expect to handle it *alone*?
I think it was actually a 6ft lamp as was suggested here (sans the racist remark)
------------------------------------- \//.
DA wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Teen-electrocuted-changing-bulb-at-gas-station-437724-.htm
Please define "racist", I see the word used in some of the silliest circumstances. Most people who use the word have no idea what it means. "Indecorous" describes the language you took exception to much more accurately. Perhaps "insensitive" could also describe his twisted comment.
TDD
On Apr 20, 10:17pm, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

And an assumptive remark at that. I have an Irish last name, so that automatically makes me a Christian? Umm, no, not hardly.
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:43:02 -0700 (PDT), tmclone

Doesnt even, necessarily, make you WHITE.

'tmclone' does not sound Irish? But one Irish is probably much like another?

'tmclone' does not sound Irish? But one Irish is probably much like another?
reply: Wasn't the first cloned sheep in Ireland? And they found another use for sheep in Ireland: wool.
Steve
Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Bob F wrote:

Either two 8 foot lamps taped together or one of those deadly AK-47 assault lamps.
TDD