Understanding the Teen Brain

It doesn’t matter how smart teens are or how well they scored on the SAT or ACT. Good judgment isn’t something they can excel in, at least not yet.
The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed a nd won’t be until age 25 or so.
In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.
In teen’s brains, the connections between the emotional part of the brain and the decision-making center are still developing—and not always at the same rate. That’s why when teens have overwhelmin g emotional input, they can’t explain later what they were thinking. They weren’t thinking as much as they were feeling. [...]
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1& ContentID051
On 21/09/19 00:26, David P wrote:

I may be wrong, and my knowledge of numbers has waned with age, but I seem to remember that teenagers stop being teenagers when they reach 20...
--

Jeff

Its a variable feast, however many females reach maturity earlier and from recent observations people who become politicians never do develop these connections completely.. grin. Brian
From the sofa of Brian Gaff -
On 21/09/2019 08:33, Brian Gaff wrote:

It is like the onset of autumn, it varies from view to view.
Well judging by Boris' personal life, his sap rises at the wrong time. Brian
--
----- --

More likely his sap rises all the time and Corbyn's never does. And only a fool would be stupid enough to fuck that fool Abbott.

Over my time in teaching, I met some teenagers who were remarkably sensible.
If I say so myself, our three daughters were - they had their moments but nothing to worry about, just the kind of thing we laugh at now and I mentioned (or will do) at their weddings.
Much of it comes down to parents. I recall a particular pupil who wasn’t sensible by any stretch of the imagination. He’d got into a particularly serious/silly matter and a more senior teacher had contacted his parents. The senior teacher spoke to me later as his form tutor ‘You can see where he gets it from.’ summed up the situation perfectly.

But those moments may well have been due to the way teen brains works compared with adults.

Not with how the teen brain works compared with adult brains.

We arent talking about sensible.

Sure but that’s an entirely separate matter from whether teen brains work differently to adult brains.
There's a reason that teens are used as cannon fodder world wide...
On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 07:50:40 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

It's good of you to publicly own up you were once a teacher. Must have taken some courage. I'll try to bear that in mind when reading your posts in future.
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On 21/09/2019 14:02, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Several posters here used to be teachers.
Of course that was back in the days when we had proper exams and no such thing as spending an afternoon in isolation.
--
Adam

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 15:59:14 +0100, ARW wrote:

Pre-1960 you mean? They must be getting on a bit by now.
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On 22/09/2019 09:49, Cursitor Doom wrote:

A bit later I believe. I was born in 1970 and still did O levels. I still from time to time bump into an old school teachers (usually in the pub for the English and metal/woodwork teachers). I cannot remember getting slippered after about 1982.
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/how-to-be-a-miserable-dck-about-other-peoples-gcse-results-20190822188422
--
Adam

On 22/09/2019 10:33, ARW wrote:

Oh, a youngster.
and still did O levels. I

and you misbehaved at school.

On 22/09/2019 10:44, Brian Reay wrote:

Sometimes.
I was sent home from the school trip to Austria.
--
Adam

On Sunday, 22 September 2019 16:02:33 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

lemme guess, nazi impressions?
On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 09:02:23 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

Shagging a new teacher probably!
On 22/09/2019 17:54, Bob Eager wrote:

Actually it was for taking part in a fight and some windows got broken.
--
Adam

On 22/09/2019 19:37, ARW wrote:

Interesting wording.
On 22/09/2019 20:41, Brian Reay wrote:

English words?
--
Adam

On 22/09/2019 21:19, ARW wrote:

The beauty of the passive voice. "Windows were broken" rather than "I broke the windows" (or whoever did).
--
Max Demian