new failure mode for fluorescent light fittings?

I had a problem with some fluorescent light fittings recently. It took me a while to track down, and even after a bit of Googling haven't found mention of it before, so I thought I'd pass it on.

I have some 4ft T8 tubes - nothing fancy, cheap battens from Screwfix I think, a few years old - in the garage. One of these stopped working recently. I thought it was the starter, so I put a new one it. There was a momentary strike as I turned the starter bayonet, but then nothing.

So I thought I'd buy a fancy new LED tube instead of a replacement fluorescent. Put this in (with the shorting starter ... and nothing.

Hmm - strange for the ballast to go, I thought ... a quick measure seemed to indicate that at least the ballast seems to have volts through it.

I was starting to suspect the entire fitting - I'm not sure how reliable the end connector to the pins are on the tube - when I finally worked it out.

The thin 'copper' plates on the socket for the starter were deforming out of alignment. So when I turned the starter, the pin wasn't making a proper connection as it was supposed to.

A little tweak with a VDE screwdriver, I made sure the contact was made as the starter was turned, and ... bingo! we have light.

So, an easy fix, but one a problem I'd heard of before. I shan't tell how long it took before I got around to diagnosing this...

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

How very dare you post diy stuff in a group for political whining?

Reply to
Cynic

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Cynic snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

My experience of batten failure was solved by exchanging it. The Screwfix counter assistant did not ask for details but simply handed me a replacement:-)

On the political whining aspect... I think it has gone quiet because all the brexiteers have most of their fingers crossed and are unable to type:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

go on go on go on go on ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Crap design then, might be worth looking at the other one for impending failure.

I did once have a starter socket actually crack and crumble on an old Thorne double fitting once, but I've never seen it since. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff