tappan self cleaning oven

help. I just purchased a home that has an older 5-7 years, Tappan self cleaning oven. I can't figure out how to start the self cleaning process. I place the first selector in clean, and the thermostat selector in the clean position, then the sound of the door locking is heard. The lock light comes on put it never gets hot to clean it out. The stove works under the normal broil and bake positions. Am I missing a step or is it just broken. Thanks.

Reply to
fishkiller101

You're most likely missing the timer setting. Self clean generally only works with the timer set to turn the clean cycle off after a period of time.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Tappan is now part of Electrolux. I don't know if the brand is made any more so it may be difficult to find a manual.

Self cleaning must be started and stopped with the timers. Most brands recommend about three hours to do the cleaning. It may smell, smoke a little, or even set off the smoke detectors. this is caused by any residue burning up to a fine ash. Open a window or exhaust vent once it is cranking up the heat.

Even if it shuts off, you may find the oven locked until it cools down some. This is a normal safety device.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski