Taking out a wall

I want to take out a wall in my basement. I know it's not a supporting wall, but at the same time, I'm very wary about just taking it out... Are there any precautions I should take to avoid future problems such as squeeking floors, sagging floors, etc? At the same token, I want to add a wall to the basement, but this one will run parallel with the 2x10's on the cieling. I'm a bit worried about warping the other way on that one... I have no clue where to get information on how to do this, so if anyone has any sage advise, i'd love to hear it!

John

Reply to
John Smith

For peace of mind, since you are not sure if you will have problems, talk to a GC or an engineer. The small price you may pay for advice can go a long way in preventing problems down the road. You may also get some advice in usage of space that that never occurred to you. The oft repeated saying " I can't see you situation from where Iam sitting" applies here. Posting a link to a picture may help but the best advise you will get will be up-close and personal.

Lou

Reply to
Lou W

you know this for sure?

not if it IS an interior wall

blocking in between 2x10 joists will be necessary to nail the top plate.

huh?

remove drywall 1st. to be sure there are no pipes or wires in the wall. using a sawzall, cut through the middle of the studs (on a diagonal so it does not bind the blade) then remove upper half of studs, then lower half, then top and bottom plates. be careful not to step on the nails that will be sticking up from the bottom plate.

information is FREE

Reply to
Bryant

Hire someone to do it. If you are clueless, it would be the best way. BAM! It's there.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB