Taking our our trash

Page 1 of 4
This may be a stretch.
We have two trash containers that must be put out on our street each Thursday. They have two wheels. One is for recyclables, and the other for waste materials. Until recently, I could use an old 1997 Plymouth van to put them into the back of the fan, and drive them about 750' out to the street for a pickup, along with 7 other neighbors. Unfortunately, the van died. Now I have to roll the containers the 750' down our driveway and to the collection site where the pickup--paved all the way. I really don't like rolling to the pickup site.
I've contemplated buying an used pickup truck, but I really have much for a pickup truck. I've thought of maybe using something like a golf cart, but it would require some work to put a fixture on it that would hold the containers. Aside from that, I'm out of space in my garage to put a golf cart in it. Maybe a motorized wagon might work. Parachutes, zip lines, ... ? :-)
Comments?
On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:00:31 -0800, "W. eWatson"

How about a trailer? Find a junk one or just buy one of those Harbor Fright kits. Put a big caster on the tongue and you can drag it with anything but I have a ball on my lawn tractor and my golf cart. I drag my boat trailer around the house with them.
On 11/20/14, 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

I'd walk. Each round trip would take about 6 minutes.
If I tip my trash can about 30 degrees, I can lean the handle over the rim of the open trunk of my car. The spare tire is bolted in a well at the bottom of the trunk. I'd tie the handle to the wheel. I'd avoid sharp turns.
J Burns wrote:

Hi, That will be good exercise too I do that every two weeks not generating too much trash or recyclables. Even on -30C cold days. Even if they are full, not that heavy. Some times I can handle two at once. OP must be an elderly senior? I am 74.
On 11/20/2014 7:24 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Close.:-)
On 11/19/2014 11:14 PM, J Burns wrote:

Worth a try.
On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

Walking is good exercise.
On Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:00:37 AM UTC-5, W. eWatson wrote:

Not only are there golf carts, but there are also similar small electric vehicles with flat beds, designed for hauling stuff around that would be more appropriate. You could check with local golf cart or utility vehicle dealers and find a used one. But they aren't exactly cheap. You could probably find a used pickup for less and get even more use out of it.
On 11/20/2014 6:50 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I met a guy who needed a pickup. But they were all priced out of his range. The guy worked for the state fire training, so he bought a van which was much cheaper, and used the auto extrication equipment at work to cut the top off. Instant pickup truck. Of course, not many people have this ability.
With these distances, I'd have to guess the OP or someone near by has a riding lawn mower. Which can be fitted with some kind of bracket to get the toters there and back.
On 11/20/2014 7:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hey, hey, hey! This is a home repair group.
Most have, or have access to, a Milwaukee Sawz-all.
Son, that's not saws some, that's saws ALL!<g>
It will take longer, no doubt, but if the fireman could do it with the tools available to him, we could do it with the tools available to us!
Pop a chop blade in a circular saw, get some metal cutting blades for the Sawz-All and have at it.

At risk of being off topic, I put windows in a work van using a HF metal shear (electric model) and then pop rivet plexi glass over the openings I made.
Last week, when I did exhaust work on the same van, I find that HF brand blades are Saws None, at least the metal blades. Just smoothed out the teeth and over heated. Metal cutting blades from Home Depot did the job. So, if you want a Sawzall, feed it a real brand of blade like Dewalt. Not a faux saw blade (faw saw?) like Horrid Fright.
Sad that his OP van died, that's disappointing.
I suspect that garden tractor will be useful, here.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/20/2014 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I figured that out after I bought my Harbor Freight reciprocating saw. The saw still works just fine, but I buy blades someplace else.
Bill
On 11/20/2014 5:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have a riding lawnmower, but fitting it would be tricky.
On 11/20/2014 12:24 PM, W. eWatson wrote:

I have complete confidence in your abilities.
On 11/19/2014 11:00 PM, W. eWatson wrote:

How much more would the trash hauler charge to come up your driveway and pick up the bins at the garage?
On 11/20/2014 4:26 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I'm sure they would balk at the idea. They want them at the pickup location.
Some years ago, when the county started using them, I found the county knew of a mfg who built a rack for the back fender that would carry them. I bought one, but it protruded from the rear, and part of it weighed 40-50 pounds. It was a part that made it necessary to fasten it to the rack whenever it was used. I sent it back to the mfg.
On 11/20/2014 11:31 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

Okay, next suggestion: a John Deere Gator utility vehicle. https://www.deere.com/en_INT/products/equipment/gator_utility_vehicles/work_utility_vehicles/work_utility_vehicles.page?
You might find one second hand. They're used a lot on farms and resorts. http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?catid 71&Manu=JOHN+DEERE&Mdltxt=GATOR+XUV+825I
On 11/20/2014 12:00 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

Little unlicensed/off road trailer sounds good.
I sympathize with you watching neighbor out back with similar drive with maybe 10% downhill grade. He has a teenager doing it but when kids go away to school, tough job for older man.
On 11/19/2014 11:00 PM, W. eWatson wrote:

A few here mentioned that walking is good exercise and I agree completely. My wife and I try to get a walk in nearly every day...and at age 65 I'm only about 8 pounds heavier than I was when I was 20.
Since you no longer have the pickup truck I'd think you'd have room in it's place for a small trailer. Since it would not have to be road-worthy it would not have to be much more than a piece of 1/2" plywood and some wheels
On 11/20/2014 4:58 AM, philo wrote:

At the pickup point, we are at the bottom of a steep hill. I use it pretty regularly for exercise.