Tailgate up or tailgate down?

Which is better for fuel economy?
GMC has the answer.
<http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/05/20/tailgate-up-or-down-gmc-solves-age-old-pickup-truck-mystery/?intcmp ώatures>
Add pictures here
βœ–

Age old?
Thought Mythbusters did that one long ago. Came up with it wasn't better down but don't believe said it was worse down.
Red CRS Green...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Red Green wrote:

Mythbusters tested this on two different episodes. The second episode was motived by a lot of people writing in with questions and remarks about the first.
Both episodes showed that tailgate-up gave better economy than tailgate down.
But in the second episode, a test with a cargo net (with tailgate removed) had the better fuel economy vs other configurations...
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/second-mythbusters-tailgate-down-up-off-hard-tonneau-net-6319/
Add pictures here
βœ–

I just read an article on this (sorry, don;'t recall where) and the automakers comments were that the best economy is with them up. They also said the worst thing to do is use a cargo net. I suppose there will be some trucks that don't strictly follow that "rule" but everything I've read that's at all recent, and that was done by someone competent and actually in the business of making trucks, says leave the gate up.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I figure it does not matter. If it is too hot or too colds the windows are up. About 4 days a year I wish I had a convert able again, but the other 361 days, I'm glad I don't.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Dating myself here. I remember when AC was an expensive luxury in cars. There was always one or two people that would drive with the windows up so others would think they splurged and had AC in the car.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

But back then, cars had wing windows (AKA 'butterfly windows'). If you turned them out all way you had a hurricane in the car. :-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 5/27/13 2:52 PM, willshak wrote:

And people had big, folding road maps to use as sunshades for the big side windows if they chose.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Monday, May 27, 2013 4:19:09 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

always one or two people that would drive with the >> windows up so others would think they splurged and had AC in the car. > > But back then, cars ha d wing windows (AKA 'butterfly windows'). If you > turned them out all way you had a hurricane in the car. :-) > And people had big, folding road maps to use as sunshades for the big side windows if they chose.
Around here tailgate down will keep you from getting billed on our toll roa ds. The cameras are above the road looking down and they can't pick up a l icense plate if the tailgate is down.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Slick.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 5/28/2013 12:49, jamesgang wrote:

The cameras are above the road looking down and they can't pick up a license plate if the tailgate is down. Around here the cops are staked out at toll booths ready to pounce on anyone who semi-innocently obscures a license plate to evade a toll. The victim then gets to pay the toll along with a hefty fine.
Add pictures here
βœ–

roads. The cameras are above the road looking down and they can't pick up a license plate if the tailgate is down.

You're not allowed to haul lumber back from HD in Canuckistan?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 5/28/2013 12:49 PM, jamesgang wrote:

here. I remember when AC was an expensive luxury in >> cars. There was always one or two people that would drive with the >> windows up so others would think they splurged and had AC in the car. > > But back then, cars had wing windows (AKA 'butterfly windows'). If you > turned them out all way you had a hurricane in the car. :-) > And people had big, folding road maps to use as sunshades for the big side windows if they chose.

The cameras are above the road looking down and they can't pick up a license plate if the tailgate is down.

that's a feature, not a bug
Add pictures here
βœ–