T 111 for fence material?

Would T111 be acceptable for use in a fence application? I'm thinking of installing it horizontally, but wonder whether water remaining in the grooves after it rains would be a reason to reconsider. And if there would be other considerations as well.

Reply to
al

I'm a big fan of T1-11. Built a couple 10 by 12 sheds with it - use it for sides on a small utility trailer - and the decks of 2 landscape trailers. Never thought of it for fencing - but why not. I might just seal the upper edges real good. I wouldn't worry about rain water bothering the grooves.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

The 8 foot fence behind my house is built with T111.

It has been there for years and seems to be holding up pretty well.

I not sure I would install the panels horizontally though.

Is it a problem to cut them in to 4 footers and install them vertically?

Reply to
greg6755

No problem doing it vertically. I'm just thinking the horizontal would look interesting. And I would actually be doing an 8' fence with 2 panels per section, one above the other. May require additional fastening to insure the joint between the two is strong enough?

Reply to
al

The potential problem I see with your suggestion is that the edges of the long grooves expose a lot of end grain. It also provides a 'resevoir' where water lays longer than in the vertical orientation and allows time for the wood to absorb water. There is also the issue of voids which are only apparent along these groove and which provide a conduit for the water to permeate deeper into the sheet. I agree that the horizontal orientation would be a novel and pleasing technique but not without performing some sort of sealing along the top edge of each groove. My caulking gun arm is already feeling like tennis elbow - LOL. Whatever you do, have some from!.

Reply to
C & E

Should work OK. There will be one hell of a lot of wind load on it so be sure to use plenty of deep posts.

If you are in an area with zoning, check before you put up an 8' fence. That would not be permitted in many places.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Did you ever install the T 111 as fencing horizontally? And if you did, how did it work out. Thank you

Reply to
Fer t111

Why do you think it woudl be a good idea? How did you plan to use it?

The second floor my of house is covered in it, but there is also chip board or something behind it, to which it is nailed.

I think 4x8 sheets of t-111 would flop around, especially in the wind unless you mean to have it on top of, attached to a fence, maybe with

2 horizontal rails, or 2 rails and 2 diagonals. I'm not sure the latter could be flat enough to attach to.

Also when a big wind comes, they'll be enormous forces on a 4x8 sheet. Maybe a 2x8 sheet??

A lot of people have stockade fences, even 7 feet high. I wonder, when the wind blows, how much air makes it through the cracks between the pickets. If not much, then maybe the T-111 would be okay in the wind. (but don't take my word.)

The rain in the grooves seems like the least of the consideration. My walls were covered with semi?-transparent latex stain, which doesn't seem like a lot of protection, but it rains on them all the time, and they're in good condition except on the south side where sunlight hits them all day for months.

Reply to
Micky

I hope the OP takes your advice...8 years after the question was asked.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

But I wasn't addressing the OP. I was addressing the poster, who posted less than a day before I did.

Reply to
Micky

In that case, why did you ask him "Why do you think it woudl (sic) be a good idea?"

He never offered any indication as to whether he thought it was a good idea or not. All he did was ask if the OP ever installed it and wondered how it worked out.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think he did offer an indication. I don't think he would have asked if he wasn't considering doing it himself. I certainly don't think he would have asked if he already was sure it was a bad idea. So that leaves that he wasn't sure it was a bad idea and must have had reason to think it was a good idea.

Even if you don't see it that way, that's the way I see it and it's not unreasonable.

Reply to
Micky

Considering doing something and thinking it's a good idea do not go hand in hand.

I've "considered" doing things a certain way until I did some research to find out If it was good idea or not. Having an idea is not the same thing as thinking it's a good - or bad - idea. Sometimes it's just an idea.

He merely asked if the OP did it and how it worked out. That can - and should - be nothing more than a person doing some research.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I didn't say he thought it was a good idea. I said he had some reason to think it was a good idea. There might have been bigger reasons that it was a bad idea, and that's why he posted here, to find out if there were.

Why did you consider doing it if you didn't think there was some reason, perhaps a reason not yet known to you, that it was a good idea?

Yes, but you've broadened the scenario from what we had here. We didn't just have an idea. We had an idea that he thought was worth investigating. People don't do that unless they have at least a suspicion that it's a good idea. If there's no chance that it's a good idea, they don't investigate.

Should? You're going to tell Fer T111 what he *should* be thinking?

Reply to
Micky

Let's see...

First you asked him why he thinks it's a good idea.

Now you say you didn't say he thought it was a good idea.

Moving on...

Reply to
DerbyDad03