Superglue versus super glue gel

I was in the store tonight, they have super Glue and the gel stuff. Is the gel worth the extra cost?

Not a huge difference. But even so....

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've never gotten anything to stick with super glue, not even my fingers. Haven't used the gel So why did I post?

Reply to
micky

No, not worth the extra cost for adhesion, but worth the extra cost to keep the stuff fromrunning off and gpomg everywhere.

I talked once with the daughter of the inventor of superglue. She told me that her father had to 'back off' the adhesion for customer safety. Too many people were getting their fingers, etc glued together and rather than apply acetone to break the adhesion, they'd simply pull their fingers apart, which caused the epidermis to simply strip off and you ended up with what felt like a broken blister - exposed LIVE skin. So,...the attorney's convinced him to change the formula, dummying it down to the slightly adhesive stuff you buy today, not the original stick your car to the ceiling stuff.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I would think the consideration would be the intended purpose rather than the cost. If the surfaces are smooth, why would one want the gel? One of the things I like about super glue is the way in wicks into tiny openings...gel wouldn't wick. Non-gel can work well on less than smooth surfaces too if you prepare the surface...

In conjunction with my photography, I sometimes had to make frames, generally largish ones (up to 40x60). I ordered the frame pieces from a stock house, they cut to size on a guillotine. Frame wood is generally quite soft and the cut edges wind up rough. My solution was to rub a stick of chalk over them, filling up the hollows; gently blow off excess, apply super glue and join. The glue wicks through the chalk binding it to itself and continues into the wood, binding the thin chalk layer to the wood. All my frames were joined this way, no nails, none ever failed.

Reply to
dadiOH

out why you center posted, and didn't delete the trailing text to make it eaier to find your text. But that's a question for another day, I guess? stick with super glue, not even my

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, I find that totally believable. I've not had much success sticking things with the stuff they sell now. Reminds me to buy a couple more bottles of acetone nail polish remover.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's totally creative. I would never have considered that. Wonder if that chalk and glue can be applied to other situations?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

micky wrote: "I've never gotten anything to stick with super glue, not even"

Enlighten us, please do, with what you haven't gotten to stick? Plastics, no problem here. Composites, no problem. Ceramics, porous, crazy glue just gets sponged up.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Cyanoacrylates are useful as a liquid bandage.

Personally, I don't use cyanoacrylates as I've never had a repair that lasted. I'll use a quick set epoxy instead if I need a quick repair.

Reply to
Frank

Superglue and baking soda has been used by modelers for decades. The baking soda accelerates the polymerization of the glue and also acts as a filler in a less than optimal joint or can make a strengthening fillet. It particularly useful when gluing up a wing from balsa ribs.

To some extent it is a homemade gel glue. Typically if you're building a plane you get a big bottle of CA glue. The thin type as the most versatile as you can use it to laminated a fabric strengthener to the wing root joint and use it with the baking soda for joints that require more body.

I'm not Sally Safety, but when you're using a lot of the stuff like for the wing root lamination, believe the notes about adequate ventilation.

Before it became a household item we used the original Eastman formulation for gluing up o-rings out of round neopreme stock. I got my unsuspecting girl friend to glue her fingers together in the classic trick. She still married me, showing a distinct lack of judgement.

Reply to
rbowman

I've heard that some medical people prefer super glue for wound closure. I remember getting stitches when I was a kid, and I'd likely also prefer it.

Epoxy is good for bonding repairs. I've used Gorilla Glue on occasion. Buy the small container, it hardens while you aren't using it, and it's better to throw out small jar.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 2/5/2015 4:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: > - > . > Christopher A. Young > learn more about Jesus > .

> . > .

WEICON Contact Cyanoacrylate Adhesives should always be stored in a cool, dry and dark place. The shelf life is at least 9 months if stored at room temperature (+18°C - +25°C). If stored at +5°C (e.g. in a refrigerator), the shelf life can be extended to 12 months. By freezing down to -20°C the adhesives can be stored for a nearly unlimited period. However, they must then be brought to room temperature prior to use.

Reply to
Rowan Pope

I have had good luck with a product called "last glue" and no luck at all with consumer grade "crazy glue". I have had reasonable results with Kroeger Inc. InstaCure. Both containers of MaxiCure hardened in the bottle before I got to use it.

Reply to
clare

The new UV cure adhesives show a lot of promise for "instant" repairs.

Reply to
clare

Baking soda is recommended filler for use with CA glues.

Reply to
clare

I gave up trying to use it a long time ago, so I don't think I can recall. For ceramics I use white glue. It must have been non-porous things. I thought I was using too much, so I used less, but that didn't help. At least once I got it on my finger and touched another finger with thta one, but they didn't stick togeher at all.

If the old formula was better, maybe I shoudl hunt for some I bought 20 years ago. grin.

Reply to
micky

What trailing text? There was only your signature, and I usually let signatures delete themselves. This time it didn't. I don't remember if it usually does.

Reply to
micky

lot of promise for "instant"

Some form of UV cure stuff is what my dentist uses.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Same trailing text as on this post. And, you center posted AGAIN.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Look up Bondic.