Superglue versus super glue gel

Page 1 of 2
I was in the store tonight, they have super Glue and the gel stuff. Is the gel worth the extra cost?
Not a huge difference. But even so....
On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 21:07:34 -0500, Stormin Mormon

I've never gotten anything to stick with super glue, not even my fingers. Haven't used the gel So why did I post?

On 2/5/2015 2:52 AM, micky wrote:

text to make it eaier to find your text. But that's a question for another day, I guess? stick with super glue, not even my

--
.
Christopher A. Young

What trailing text? There was only your signature, and I usually let signatures delete themselves. This time it didn't. I don't remember if it usually does.

On 2/5/2015 6:43 PM, micky wrote:

Same trailing text as on this post. And, you center posted AGAIN.
micky wrote: "I've never gotten anything to stick with super glue, not even"
Enlighten us, please do, with what you haven't gotten to stick? Plastics, no problem here. Composites, no problem. Ceramics, porous, crazy glue just gets sponged up.
On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 05:30:27 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I gave up trying to use it a long time ago, so I don't think I can recall. For ceramics I use white glue. It must have been non-porous things. I thought I was using too much, so I used less, but that didn't help. At least once I got it on my finger and touched another finger with thta one, but they didn't stick togeher at all.
If the old formula was better, maybe I shoudl hunt for some I bought 20 years ago. grin.
micky wrote:

Go to a hobby shop. I've had good luck with Jet and HotStuff:
http://www.rcplanet.com/Chemicals_Adhesives_RC_CA_Glue_s/3127.htm
There is a large selection of variants rather than the 1/8 ounce tube of unknown provenance at the hardware store. R/C modellers tend to get very pissed if their toys fall apart.

I'll take a look. I go to a hobby shop to buy ambroid cement. Great stuff.

micky wrote:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Canoe_pages/ambroid.htm
Patching your canoe? I haven't used it in ages but I always like the smell. Of course that was probably a blend of 57 carcinogenic hydrocarbons that was dissolving my brain.

It can do that too!?

Yeah, I like the smell too. Nothing that can make one high, I think, before the lurkers go get some to sniiff it.

I figure it was just amber, or one ingredient,
I'm not sure we're talking about the same stuff. Yours is called ambroid glue and mentions canoes. Mine is ambroid cement, but the logo is the same: Ambroid in an oval, with an eagle atop the oval.
Mine is good because it dries very quickly, doesn't require mixing, won't bend but sticks to almost anything, holds firm but not so firm the two parts can't be broken apart when one wants to.
It never dires out in the tube if the cap is on. Originally, I bought two large tubes at the hardware store in downtown Brooklyn, Myrtle and something. They were all beat up, lots of dents. They had two cases of about 24 tubes each, all of htem beat up. I bought two big tubes and finished the second tube about 20 years later, still good as new.
When I went to the hobby store, it was expensive, so since I haven't been gluing so much lately, I only bought a small tube, but it's the same stuff, just as good.

No, not worth the extra cost for adhesion, but worth the extra cost to keep the stuff fromrunning off and gpomg everywhere.
I talked once with the daughter of the inventor of superglue. She told me that her father had to 'back off' the adhesion for customer safety. Too many people were getting their fingers, etc glued together and rather than apply acetone to break the adhesion, they'd simply pull their fingers apart, which caused the epidermis to simply strip off and you ended up with what felt like a broken blister - exposed LIVE skin. So,...the attorney's convinced him to change the formula, dummying it down to the slightly adhesive stuff you buy today, not the original stick your car to the ceiling stuff.
On 2/5/2015 5:48 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

You know, I find that totally believable. I've not had much success sticking things with the stuff they sell now. Reminds me to buy a couple more bottles of acetone nail polish remover.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

at all with consumer grade "crazy glue". I have had reasonable results with Kroeger Inc. InstaCure. Both containers of MaxiCure hardened in the bottle before I got to use it.
On 2/5/2015 5:48 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Cyanoacrylates are useful as a liquid bandage.
Personally, I don't use cyanoacrylates as I've never had a repair that lasted. I'll use a quick set epoxy instead if I need a quick repair.
On 2/5/2015 8:35 AM, Frank wrote:

I've heard that some medical people prefer super glue for wound closure. I remember getting stitches when I was a kid, and I'd likely also prefer it.
Epoxy is good for bonding repairs. I've used Gorilla Glue on occasion. Buy the small container, it hardens while you aren't using it, and it's better to throw out small jar.
On 2/5/2015 4:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: > - > . > Christopher A. Young > learn more about Jesus > . www.lds.org > . > .
http://www.weicon.com/pages/en/products/adhesive/1c-adhesive/cyanacrylate.php
WEICON Contact Cyanoacrylate Adhesives should always be stored in a cool, dry and dark place. The shelf life is at least 9 months if stored at room temperature (+18°C - +25°C). If stored at +5°C (e.g. in a refrigerator), the shelf life can be extended to 12 months. By freezing down to -20°C the adhesives can be stored for a nearly unlimited period. However, they must then be brought to room temperature prior to use.
On 2/5/2015 4:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Gorilla glue with me has lasted longer than super glue but it is a poly isocyanate and may not last as long as epoxy. Moisture causes polymerization and they sell it in an HDPE squeeze bottle which is one of the worst plastics they could use as moisture will permeate it. Brand is confusing in recent years as they sell other glues under the Gorilla label.
I don't see an expiration date on my bottle of Gorilla glue but I'd guess that even an unopened bottle would harden within a few years.
Two part epoxies can last for decades.
On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 08:35:21 -0500, Frank

repairs.
On 2/5/2015 5:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Some form of UV cure stuff is what my dentist uses.