Sump Pump Replacement

RANDY ALEXANDER

-------------------------------------

I have a frozen discharge line on my Sump system. I caused this by extending the discharge line into the ditch last summer to make my lawn look better. We had a thaw & refreezing last week and my discharge line is now frozen solid. I initially thought it was a pump problem and replaced the pump. My old one was 4/10 hp and looks about 25-30 years old. I am going to now cut the discharge line 6" from the outside wall & conn a temp line till spring then reconnect. I am replacing with a 1/4 hp submersible pump. Now my questions, I think the 1/4 hp is enough it has to pump up 6' then the discharge line is a slight downhill grade all the way to the ditch but would appreciate any comments. The old pump system has a brass chk valve on the horizontal section 6" up but no relief hole in line, it always worked fine. All instructions for new pumps say to drill 1/8" relief hole above pump but below water line. I did do this and it stirs up the water in the Sump pit as it has a soft bottom nd I'm worried it will clog the pump. Is this reief hole neccesary? Any other suggestions, Thx

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 337443 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Randy Alexander

I've also seen sump pumps installations that did not have a relief hole and worked fine. It probably depends to some extent on the design of the pump. The hole is there to prevent the pump from becoming air-locked. That could occur if the sump pump goes dry and all the water is gone. When the pump starts, it may be full of air and not able to clear itself. The hole provides a way for the air to escape and water to enter.

If stirring up muck is an issue, you can fashion something to clamp on to the pipe in front of the hole for the water to hit and difuse. A z shaped strip of metal should work.

Reply to
trader4

The only reason I can think of for a relief hole is so that if your switch sticks in such a way that the motor keeps running. The relief hole will circulate a small amount of water to keep the pump cool. Personally, I would take the chance that the switch won't stick if I had a soft bottom sump like yours. If I had a sump container, then I might drill the hole.

Another reason is it could be an anti siphon hole. If the end of your pipe (in the ditch) is lower than your sump and it is water tight. it will siphon after the line fills with water.

Keep the check valve in place, you'll need that. Your 1/4 HP pump sounds like enough pump up 6 foot without a problem.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank