Sump pump plus GFCI - a bad idea??

I am wondering if a sump pump installed in a damp basement should be connected to a GFCI, or if this may cause the circuit to fail when it is needed most, in bad flooding.
Does the NEC or other code dictate how to deal with this? Does it make sense?

No!
Yes.
NEC does not require use of a GFCI on a sump pump.
--
Regards,
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:04:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You are going to hate the 2008 ;-)
On Nov 26, 11:46�am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

technically not required unless the sump is in a crawlspace...
I looked into this a LOT when a idiot home inspector required it, I installed it, next home inspector flagged it as wrong,,,,
had nice chat with middle group inspector when having my main service reinspected because the inspectors signature still visible but not readable had faded........
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:00:53 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

When your AHJ adopts the 2008 all of those "dedicated receptacle" exceptions will be gone. You will need AFCIs virtually everywhere too. It is the appliance manufacturer's relief act. Anyone moving into a new house will need new appliances since most old fridges, freezers and washing machines develop enough internal leakage to trip a GFCI (5ma) or AFCI (30ma)
On Nov 26, 2:22�pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

thats really dumb.
regulators always have to justify their job.
wonder if a properly grounded fridge has ever killed someone?
Thanks all for the replies.
Smarty
(Doug Miller)

A GFCI shouldn't trip until there's current leakage to ground. This shouldn't happen until the sump pump motor is flooded (if it's an open-motor unit) or until the outlet it's plugged into is flooded (if the sump pump is sealed). That's *bad* flooding, as long as the outlet is installed a reasonable distance above the floor.
    Dave