sump pump noise

southeastern wisconsin is under heavy rain on top of 9"+ accumulated snow melt and my sump pump is working like a madman, just like it should.
HOWEVER..................it is making such loud noises, with the vibrations and the clunking, as the water races back to the one-way valve, that it has become quite distracting.
my husband has tied, taped and shoved foam where ever it is possible, and not a hindrance to the pump's action.
any other suggestions?
thanks, rosie

Buy a new one
you think there is something wrong with the pump?
wrote:

Buy a new one
There are a number of problems that I see in your message. 1 - There should be no "water racing back to the one-way valve", if the pump is pumping water the pipe should be full of water, when the pump shuts off the valve should close to prevent the water from racing back. The water should just stop. 2 - The clunk sounds like a metal check valve, you should replace it with a plastic flap or ball check valve. The metallic bang is the metal flap slamming onto its seat as the water tries to return. Plastic check valves use a soft plastic flap or ball to seal the return path. 3 - The vibration may be a bad pump with failing bearings or damaged impeller. It may need replacing. The pipe should not be attached solidly to floor joists as the sound will transmit through the house frame, either attach it to the concrete walls or cushion it loosely to isolate the noise.

I agree with the others - replace the pump
When you do, go with one of the submersibles vice the pedestal which it sounds like you have. The sumbersible is 100% quieter, all I hear is a humm.
If water is 'racing back', you have a serious problem with the layout of the drain line.
Harry K

I cant even hear my pumps run unless im nearby, a good pump and a check valve in the proper location should be quiet, get a new one before it breaks and you flood. Submersable is quietist.

Are one of your pets missing??