Sump Pump Noise

I have a sump pit in my basement. It pumps water up to the main sewage drain pipe through a one way valve. The problem is that every time it operates, the valve makes a loud "thump" as it closes. Is this normal, or is there a way to lessen the noise. Thanks.

Reply to
N_A_J

Be sure you have a small hole drilled (and not clogged) in the discharge pipe, below the check valve, to prevent air lock. Here's a previous message on that subject:

Ermalina

Its normal, But I dont have a hole drilled in any of 10 pumps in use . All situations are different. Id worry when the ck valve doesnt close, and doesnt make noise.

Reply to
mark Ransley

This is in violation of many city codes. My mother had to have her system reworked before selling her house because of this.

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony

OK, so if I understand this correctly, the hole should be drilled in the pipe right above the connection to the pump. The section of pipe with the hole will still be in the sump pit, so possible water shooting out of the hole should not be a problem. My next question is do you think the one-way valve has been damaged by several years of slamming shut from excessive vacuum? Perhaps it best to replace the valve. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
N_A_J

Yes.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that.

Reply to
Ermalina

Drill a hole? you pump works right, drill a hole , valve failure, or leak , and you just back up and make your pump overwork. Doesnt make sence does it. Think.

Reply to
mark Ransley

I had a Ejector pumped replaced in my basement a few months back. The last few days the pump makes a squeeling type noise right before it shuts off. Could this be because the installer did not drill this hole?

Reply to
TigerPaw40