sump pump exterior hose

i have a sump that empties outside ,the pipe out of the house is 1 1/4 inch,i have 1 inch & quarter hose running 50 feet out ,but in the winter it freezes up,is there any way to connect a 3" flexible pipe to 1 1/4" to the pipe that runs out of the house,a 1 1/4 adapter that converts to 3" flexible.I'm thinking that a 3" might not freeze up as easily.I'm too old with health problems to dig a trench to bury the hose.Thanks
On 3/11/2013 1:33 PM, pacca wrote:

a piece of gutter to direct the water away from the house. Sure, some might freeze in the gutter, but more water would just run over it.
Paul
Two thoughts come to mind. First, is that the pipe maybe needs to be higher, with greater slope. So the water doesn't sit still in the pipe, to freeze.
Second, you write like a teenager.
i have a sump that empties outside ,the pipe out of the house is 1 1/4 inch,i have 1 inch & quarter hose running 50 feet out ,but in the winter it freezes up,is there any way to connect a 3" flexible pipe to 1 1/4" to the pipe that runs out of the house,a 1 1/4 adapter that converts to 3" flexible.I'm thinking that a 3" might not freeze up as easily.I'm too old with health problems to dig a trench to bury the hose.Thanks

Two thoughts come to mind: Jesus said "Let he who is without sin among you cast the first stone." You're awfully critical for a guy who can't even spell "amendment" correctly.
The second is that people who omit capitals often are typing one-handed due to disease or injury or just old age. Since the poster reminded us that he's infirm, it should have been the first thing a true Christian should have thought of instead of razzing him for not meeting your posting standards.
--
Bobby G.

put a TINY hole in the hose at the highest point outside the house.
When the pump shuts off and the hose is full of water, the small hole will allow air to enter the hose and will allow the water in the hose to drain down the hill. Thus the hose won't sit for long full of water.
Mark

I always do!

That's odd. He recently assured us he never flames anyone for spelling errors. Fortunately he seems to have blocked me (again) so I don't have to suffer through any of his fairly hypocritical comments. For an inveterate (invertebrate?) top-poster who's constantly vying for the role of "Most Off Topic Poster" his criticisms ring a little hollow. I know he reads these messages because he's responded to them obliquely and because he's too egomaniacal not to.

He's an iconoclast. If everyone says "po-TAY-toh" he's got to say "po-TAT-oh." It's really just "whoring" for attention. It permeates his postings. "Look at me!!!!" We're looking, but there's not much to see except hypocrisy.

I know at least 10 atheists who hew more closely to the real philosophy of Jesus than Stormie does. It's sad for someone to constantly proclaim their affection for Jesus and yet act so diametrically opposed to what Jesus stood for. Taking a swipe at someone who's admitted they are too infirm to dig up the pipe? "Judge not, lest ye be judged" or "Let he who is without sin" both come to mind. Do you know the religious beliefs of anyone else in AHR? That's because for most people, religion is a private affair. Not so for Mormons, apparently.

I call bullshit on that! (-: The Mormon church was never perfect. It was one of many religions "born" during the great religious revival of the time (the Second Great Awakening) including the Churches of Christ, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the Seventh-day Adventist Church, and the Evangelical Christian Church in Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Great_Awakening

The Morons do have an odd a penchant for baptizing the dead of other faiths, so much so that it's become fodder for comedians:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/02/04/bill-maher-unbaptizes-romneys-dead-father-in-law-i-call-upon-the-mormon-spirits-to-leave-your-body-the-fk-alone/
The church has banned the practice, but that hasn't stopped it.
What I find most interesting is how many times Mormons have had to rearrange their beliefs to account for facts that don't line up with their claims:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Abraham
<<Since its publication in 1842, the Book of Abraham has been a source of controversy. Non-Mormon Egyptologists, beginning with Theodule Deveria in the late 19th century, have disagreed with Joseph Smith's explanations of the facsimiles. They also assert that damaged portions of the papyri have been reconstructed incorrectly. The controversy intensified in the late 1960s when portions of the Joseph Smith Papyri were located. Translation of the Egyptian text revealed that the rediscovered portions bore no relation to the Book of Abraham text. LDS apologist Hugh Nibley and BYU Egyptologists John Gee and Michael D. Rhodes have offered detailed rebuttals to the criticisms and explanations of the differences.>>
That controversy, along with the polygamist beliefs and the claims that American Indians were the lost tribe of Israel have dogged the LDS and its splinter sects for quite some time. I guess the prophet Joseph Smith wasn't able to foresee that his claims about Indians would be demolished by modern DNA evidence.
--
Bobby G.

3" flexible pipe? I think you mean the 4" black corrugated pipe that's typically used to extend gutter leaders? If the grade slopes away, which it should, why can't you just run the 1 1/4" pipe inside the 4" for 4 ft or so, without any fittings? Far enough into it that water does not come back out the near end.
But I'm betting the real problem is that it's not graded correctly and there is a low spot. Otherwise I'd think the 1 1/4" pipe would drain and freezing would not be a problem. Even if some small amount of ice did result, next time the pump ejects water, it should melt it. If there is a significant low spot, then the 4" pipe will freeze up too.