Sump pump. Expected lifetime.

I have a septic sump in the basement. Waste from a basement half bathroom goes there. Also the air conditioner drain goes there and a 2" ID pipe but I don't know what it carries. Main household waste bypasses the sump and goes direct to drain. The sump is emptied via a pump and a "U" tube to the main drain.
How long, on average, will this sump pump last? It is now four years old. I have installed a high water alert using a modified smoke detector so that I should have some warning before the sump backs up into my basement.
Thanks,
Peter.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a septic sump in the basement. Waste from a basement half bathroom goes there. Also the air conditioner drain goes there and a 2" ID pipe but I don't know what it carries. Main household waste bypasses the sump and goes direct to drain. The sump is emptied via a pump and a "U" tube to the main drain.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><STRONG>How long, on average,&nbsp;will this sump pump last?</STRONG> It is now four years old. I have installed a high water alert using a modified smoke detector so that I should have some warning before the sump backs up into my basement.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Peter.</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I'd expect anywhere from 5-20 years, depending upon quality of the pump and frequency of usage</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

They last until they fail. They may fail in 24 hours or 24 years. My last home had the sump pump come on about twice in the about 10 years I lived there. My new home is not on the top of the hill like my last one and the pump runs a lot more. The original one wasted about 12 years, I replaced it with a better one. I also have an alarm. I was lucky to spot the failure of the last one before damage occurred. I am considering adding a water powered pump as a backup in the event of a power outage.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

He has a macerator pump, not a sump pump

On of these days I am going to have to take that learn to read course. Thanks. Please disregard my advice.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Your advise is fine, as usual, it's just that as a macerator, it'll probably come on more that twice in 10 years, barring cronic constipation

When I was writing my original post I could not think of the correct name (macerator). Therefore I used the word "septic" as an alternative.
So how long, ON AVERAGE, should the macerator last before a replacement is needed?
Peter.

Question: Do you have a sump pump or a sewage pump? They are different animals and used for different purposes.
A sewage (you might call it a septic pump if it pumps to a septic tank) pump is used for sewage and should be in a sealed receptacle and should not overflow if the pump fails, unless you open it up when it is overfull.
A sump pump is not a sealed system, although it may have a lid. It removes excess water from the basement and "french drains" as well as any perimeter drains around the foundation. Depending on the waterflow and pump quality, these may last a couple of years to 10 years and may overflow if they fail. As mentioned in another posting if you have city water, you could install a water powered backup pump such as the Basepump.
Because of a finished basement and high water table in my area, I always keep a spare pump on hand as well as having a water powered backup pump installed.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a septic sump in the basement. Waste from a basement half bathroom goes there. Also the air conditioner drain goes there and a 2" ID pipe but I don't know what it carries. Main household waste bypasses the sump and goes direct to drain. The sump is emptied via a pump and a "U" tube to the main drain.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><STRONG>How long, on average,&nbsp;will this sump pump last?</STRONG> It is now four years old. I have installed a high water alert using a modified smoke detector so that I should have some warning before the sump backs up into my basement.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Peter.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a septic sump in the basement. Waste from a basement half bathroom goes there. Also the air conditioner drain goes there and a 2" ID pipe but I don't know what it carries. Main household waste bypasses the sump and goes direct to drain. The sump is emptied via a pump and a "U" tube to the main drain.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><STRONG>How long, on average,&nbsp;will this sump pump last?</STRONG> It is now four years old. I have installed a high water alert using a modified smoke detector so that I should have some warning before the sump backs up into my basement.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Peter.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a septic sump in the basement. Waste from a basement half bathroom goes there. Also the air conditioner drain goes there and a 2" ID pipe but I don't know what it carries. Main household waste bypasses the sump and goes direct to drain. The sump is emptied via a pump and a "U" tube to the main drain.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><STRONG>How long, on average,&nbsp;will this sump pump last?</STRONG> It is now four years old. I have installed a high water alert using a modified smoke detector so that I should have some warning before the sump backs up into my basement.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Peter.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML> ------=
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a septic sump in the basement. Waste from a basement half bathroom goes there. Also the air conditioner drain goes there and a 2" ID pipe but I don't know what it carries. Main household waste bypasses the sump and goes direct to drain. The sump is emptied via a pump and a "U" tube to the main drain.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><STRONG>How long, on average,&nbsp;will this sump pump last?</STRONG> It is now four years old. I have installed a high water alert using a modified smoke detector so that I should have some warning before the sump backs up into my basement.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Peter.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

It depends on the pump, I have an 80 yr old pump thats still fine, the motor is nearly as big as a 5 gallon bucket, cheap stuff can only last 3-8 years.