Sump pump check valve

I have a basement sump for my basement bathroom. It pumps up about 4' to the main drain that goes out to my septic. We just bought the house and I need to put a backflow check valve in it. How far between the sump and the elbow that goes out should I put the valve? Does it really matter? Didn't know if it should be down closer to the sump, up where it goes out, in the middle, etc.?

Thx!

Reply to
herlihyboy

Put it close to the pump, that will prevent the water in the vertical pipe from falling back into the sump.

There is another issue: That ground water shouldn't be discharging into the sanitary (septic) line. It may have been "convenient" when the previous owner had it done, but it should have a separate drain line to ???

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

If I am reading this right you have a sewer sump and pump. The closer to the pump the check valve is the less backflow you will have each time it cycles. Be sure to make it clear when you are shopping for the valve that it is for a sewer. There may be differences in the design that I am not aware of since there will always be some particulate matter in the discharge.

Reply to
Colbyt

Thank you for picking up on that, Colbyt! I completely missed the reference to basement bath.

To the OP: Disregard about not connecting to the septic. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks, guys.

Reply to